VEX Caustics

5288   5   1
4486 posts
Caustics effect in VEX.

Edited by animatrix_ - Sept. 8, 2016 11:49:01
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
4189 posts
Another flucking excellent job
4486 posts
Thanks a lot man
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

3 posts
Hey animatrix3d,

It's been a bit of time since this post, but I wanted to ask for some additional details on how you implemented this using VEX. I'm a beginner at Houdini so this is proving a bit difficult for me but as you say ,I'm fairly certain this is simple and I'm just not looking at it correctly.

I don't understand what you mean by “refracting the point cloud through the noise deformed grid”, by that do you mean you use the VEX refract operation? And does that mean you set the point cloud positions to the end result of the refract?

I think the rest I understand, where you'd take the results of the projection and use a Ray SOP to project onto a flat grid plane for the final caustics.

Thanks!

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (49.6 KB)

4486 posts
Exactly I used the refract VEX function and set their position to where they would be refracted on the ground.

3 posts
animatrix3d
Exactly I used the refract VEX function and set their position to where they would be refracted on the ground.

Woahhh, awesome thanks a bunch! Means I'm on the right track then, just need to experiment and learn a bit more.

Thanks so much! Also your effects are really cool!
  • Quick Links