Subnet groups in modeling

2876   11   2
761 posts
I'm trying to make use of Subnets when modeling.

Suppose I model some abstract shape, there are a series of extrusions, edits etc. I make those nodes into a subnet group. How can I add another object which contains extrusions etc to a port on the subnet all the while it belongs to the subnet and belongs to the object contained within the subnet group ? This may be easy but I'm a little stuck on the workflow ?
【T】【C】【S】
Staff
3455 posts
not quite sure what you're asking…
when talking about modeling it's important to make a distinction between an ‘object’ and ‘geometry’
when you are in SOPs (Surface Operators) you are creating/editing ‘geometry’, but you are doing all of this inside an ‘Object’

I have a feeling you're looking for an Object Merge SOP - phrasing the question differently or even a sample file would help.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
761 posts

All of my SOP's are located within the subnet, what can I do with the other Inputs for the subnet, can they get used to add to the first input ?
【T】【C】【S】
5 posts
Christopher R

All of my SOP's are located within the subnet, what can I do with the other Inputs for the subnet, can they get used to add to the first input ?

Good question buddy ! I am waiting for answer !!!
Staff
3455 posts
add a SOP to the second (or 3rd, 4th) input of the subnet and then go inside the subnet…
you'll see little node like things with names like “Sub-Network Input #1” etc…
and under those names will be the names of the SOPs that are currently connected to those inputs.
treat these node input thingys just like regular SOPs - you can wire them to new SOPs, merge them together with a merge SOP etc…
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
761 posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, any SOP operations going from the out bound of the subnet mask node port should effect the nodes porting into the incoming of the subnet mask node ? If so, I added a transform node to the second port of the outgoing subnet mask node and it cooks as an error ?
【T】【C】【S】
Staff
3455 posts
can you upload a simple example?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
761 posts
I've attached a scene file.

PS. I would appreciate if I could run some other questions by you, if I could contact you ?

Attachments:
subnets_waterfountain.hipnc (207.2 KB)

【T】【C】【S】
Staff
3455 posts
re your file - No, the transform node will not have any effect on anything. subnets have more than one Input but only one Output, so the transform node will only act on the geometry of the display node inside the subnet - in the case the edit2 node.

we don't have private messaging set up yet on the new forums - what is your e-mail?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
761 posts
I don't want to post my email publicly Is there any means I can send to you ?
【T】【C】【S】
Staff
3455 posts
I don't wan't to put my mail publicly either
you can pm me over at www.odforce.net - user name ‘michael’
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
761 posts
I know
【T】【C】【S】