Suggestions for alternative to using polyextrude on curves

2347   3   1
148 posts
I have found that polyextrude does not work well extruding lots of curves. It extrudes the curves but adds a bunch weird straight lines. If I delete the polyextrude node with a problem and re-create it for a curve the problem goes away. The other alternative is to export the model into Maya and delete the extra stuff, which is easy since the extra stuff are lines of indefinite length (at least I can't see the end of them). I submitted a bug report but would like recommendations on alternatives to polyextrude with curves. I have checked the curve coordinates and they are fine. Its polyextrude. The large number of curves are being extrude using the HDK HOM API. I have ruled out that there is anything wrong with the code. Thanks to anyone with ideas on a substitute for polyextrude extruding curves. I am using polyextrude so that Mantra will render the curves. If there is another way to do this please advise. The number of curves is in the thousands so they have to be manipulated algorithmically and a UI approach will not work. Perhaps setting width attribute on curve but not sure what node to use for this.
Edited by LARSX - July 28, 2016 08:53:03
Lars Wood
Future Vision Guide
Advanced Research And Development
148 posts
nodeway
Add @WIDTH attribute to your curves, instead of extruding them. You can even use ramp on it.

Cool! Thanks!
Lars Wood
Future Vision Guide
Advanced Research And Development
7714 posts
If you really do need geometry, you can also try the PolyWire SOP [sidefx.com] but I like @width better.
  • Quick Links