Creating new object behaviour [SOLVED]

2111   9   1
65 posts
In H15 you automatically jumped into a new object - if you ctrl clicked a sphere, it would “teleport” you into the sphere OBJ.I kinda liked that.

Now, it's possible this is a setting you have to activate and I missed that in H15.5, but if there is, I can't find it. So is there a setting/houdini.enc flag I can use to get that back?

//Solved, it's a bug when using custom desktops, I'll handle it with SESI support.
Edited by Farmfield - July 28, 2016 11:21:41
~ Messing about with pixels, vectors and voxels since 25 years [vimeo.com] ~
Staff
3455 posts
ctrl click an Object, in the network view?
I don't remember that ever doing anything…

or do you mean from the shelf?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
333 posts
You need to enable “Create in Context” instead of Create at Object.
After that it will jump in the sphere obj once you drop it from the shelf.

65 posts
LOL, yes, from the shelf. If I'm in an obj context, I almost always use the tab menu, though, creating a box or alike, but if I'm in the scene context, I often use ctrl-click on the shelf to create spheres, boxes, etc…

And checking now, it's not about ctrl-clicking, in H15 you get “teleported” (Jeff Wagner's phrasing) into the obj context creating any new object - in H15.5 you stay in scene context.

Unless this is something I somehow ticked on in the H15 settings, which might be the case - if so, I just want to know how to get it back on.
65 posts
Doudini
You need to enable “Create in Context” instead of Create at Object.
After that it will jump in the sphere obj once you drop it from the shelf.
Noops, not it, I have create in context on. And it's not that I pop out of obj context, creating a new object (which is what that does), I wanna get popped into the new object when I create it.

Edit: And just let me make this clear, I'm talking about scene context, if I create an object there, I would prefer it as it was in H15.
Edited by Farmfield - July 28, 2016 10:43:29
333 posts
if you have Create in Context enabled and create a new sphere by ctrl click on the shelf it will drop you inside of the object you create. If you have it disabled it wont.
I just tested it and it works here.

What OS are you using?
Maybe you have it on in the settings but not in your viewport?
333 posts
Attached a gif…
isn't this what you want?

Attachments:
createInContext.gif (416.7 KB)

65 posts
Yeah, I have that in H15 in Windows, but not in H15.5, hehe…
Edited by Farmfield - July 28, 2016 11:22:04
65 posts
Aah, ok, it's a bug - or some weirdness with the desktops. If I set it to the build desktop it works, but not with my dual screen desktop setup - even if I have create in context on.

I'll email Jenny at SESI about it, sorry for have bothered you guy's, and huge thanks to Doudini for inspiring me to check with the default desktop.

So yeah, it's solved.
7708 posts
Some issue that I can think of:
  • If you have a custom desktop with more than Scene View pane, the shelf tool might be picking it up from a different Scene View pane which doesn't have the setting to the value you want.
  • The setting may (or may not) also be saved with the viewport. So old .hip files that you saved won't have the setting that you want. So if you can get it working but not when you load certain .hip files, you might need to resave that .hip file with the setting that you want.
  • Finally, I think this setting can also be controlled from the main preferences under viewports. But that probably also needs a restart of Houdini because it only modifies new viewport panes.
  • Quick Links