How would you get the transforms of an object plugged into an hda in Unreal Engine?

6020   6   1
453 posts
I want to be able plug an undetermined number of meshes (that are placed inside a level in UE4) into an hda. After that I want the hda to do something with the transforms (location, rotation, and scale in UE4) of these meshes.

So in two questions:
How do I set up an hda parameter for the (static mesh) actor input so that I can add an undetermined amount of actors?

How do I get the unreal world transform values for these actors?
173 posts
I don't think there's a way to do it at the moment. There's no way to input the points with transforms, only geometry / curves.
173 posts
DASD, only way to do this I can think of is, have a blueprint which dumps your points / transforms into a json / csv file and have a Houdini asset which takes that file.
453 posts
Alright thanks! I solved it with blueprints.
Also another solution I could think of would be to have the same object in the Houdini Tool and calculate the difference of position based on the first 3 points.
402 posts
The Unreal plugin has a new input type called “World Outliner Input”. With this, you can input multiple Actors from the scene into a single input on the asset. What this does in Houdini is create a Merge SOP that puts together all the input meshes from the input Actors and passes it to the asset's input.

Knowing this, you can go back up the input to the asset and find the list of input meshes (which are in their own OBJ nodes) and get their transforms.
453 posts
Thank you! Very good to know!
4 posts
damian
The Unreal plugin has a new input type called "World Outliner Input". With this, you can input multiple Actors from the scene into a single input on the asset. What this does in Houdini is create a Merge SOP that puts together all the input meshes from the input Actors and passes it to the asset's input.

Knowing this, you can go back up the input to the asset and find the list of input meshes (which are in their own OBJ nodes) and get their transforms.
Hi, I googled this because Im trying to do the same thing. I don't know how to begin to do what you've described, but it looks like what I need. Could you please elaborate?
  • Quick Links