Pyro Shader 3.0 sync with SOP/DOP visualization?

6561   11   4
8541 posts
in previous Pyro shader we had the ability to sync the parms with Volume Visualization SOP/DOP is this feature gone, or can we find it somewhere else?

also Smoke Color Ramp seems to be gone, so maybe it would not be even that simple to sync them. Is it intentional?
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
10 posts
I noticed this too. would be helpful to have in.
Weta Digital
FX TD
64 posts
I just found this thread :?

So, it seems the new shader won't work in viewport just yet and we have to use the volume visualization?
1743 posts
I'm not familiar with pyro, so I don't know what feature you're talking about, but have you tried using a volume viewport visualizer? It seems to have an option to auto-adjust the value range.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
8541 posts
volume visualizer is just for single Volume

Volume Visualization SOP and Volume Visualization DOP can use multiple volumes to represent Smoke Density, Smoke Color, Emission Density, Emission Color with various remapping settings
the same was on Pyro 2 and there were options to sync Pyro 2 settings with any Volume Visualization Node in the scene back and forth

This is missing on new Pyro3, and while it doesn't have to be part of the shader UI as it was in 2, it would be nice to have them in some menu or shelf
however as I mentioned, Pyro3 have been oversimplified and settings for Smoke Color Ramp seem to be missing, so it wouldn't even match now anyways
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
637 posts
Hi guys, I'll make sure the sync is added for the new shader in some way, preferably as a shelf tool I think. So currenlty this would include density, intensity, various emission color settings & smoke color volumes.

Pyro 3.0 sure is greatly simplified, but hopefully not overly. I've never seen the smoke color ramps being used in production, so I chose to only support color volumes for smoke (“Tint Smoke Color with Cd”), which of course can be created any way you want in SOPs. If the ramp turns out to be a commonly used feature we can of course add it back no problem.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
8541 posts
thanks for reply Kai, by overly simplified I meant exactly that the color ramp is missing compared to visualisation nodes so that the sync may not be completely possible

I liked the smoke ramps as it saved disk space by not requiring Cd volumes for certain cases and allowed to do color changes without recaching

but what would actually be a nice change to pyro and other volume shaders it to expose Density Attenuation Color which would be the multiplier to density so that it would be possible to render beautiful color variation without unlocking/modifying the shader since Pyro Core Shader and Volume shader already support Vector Density Scale
that would as well minimize a little the need for Density Color Ramp, even though that one may be still handy
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
Staff
637 posts
Yes all true.

I'll add all this in a future update. We already have RFE 69724 requesting vector attenuation by the way.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
8541 posts
awesome, thanks Kai
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
31 posts
Could you explain how to do this? i.e. where do I pipe in the Cd volume that I create in order to color the smoke? (on that note, how do you create a Cd Volume with custom colors ?

“(”Tint Smoke Color with Cd“), which of course can be created any way you want in SOPs. If the ramp turns out to be a commonly used feature we can of course add it back no problem.”

Thanks!
77 posts
Hi Kai,

Was the sync functionality ever added?

Thanks,
Mike D.
2 posts
Hi Guys,

Did we finally get these changes in 16.5?

I kind of feel Pyro2 (old pyro shader) was more open(while not friendly) to changes than the current one. Please brings back some features.
  • Quick Links