Take List - Workflows and feature requests

2604   4   0
16 posts
Hi there,
I'm a pretty new user to Houdini, so apologies if I'm being a bit slow on the up-take.

First of all, I'm curious to hear what workflows people are using alongide the take-list. What pro's and con's have you found in a production environment especially when multiple users might use a scene.

Some ideas I had that I thought might improve the functionality of takes and the take-list :
  1. Allow editing of values set in the take-list. Currently these appear to be read-only.
  2. Add a button that would bring the network/parameter panel focus to the parameter selected. This would allow the take-list to become a on-the-fly bookmark list of parameters that you are testing/editing.

Thanks for reading!
p.
16 posts
Bump.
Do none you have any thought on this topic? Any lighters out there?
655 posts
The problem with takes is that they are not that procedural workflow friendly although you can it is not ideal and therefore are used little (in my experience) so i can only talk about how I use them.

I use takes mostly to do override of parameters for animation variations and testing options when I send to the farm things and not much more.

There have been cases in which I had to maintain a parallel configuration of the scene and it's object parameters and therefore in that case it has been very useful so it's a very personal thing.

hope it helps
55 posts
You can use them to store rendering parameters, for example you can make high quality and low quality takes: in the first you'll put like 6 pixels sample and in the low quality you can put just 1 or 2,this kind of stuff…

So while you are in lookdev you keep the low quality, one you are ready to render instead of re-set the mandra node you just switch to High quality and hit render.
https://vimeo.com/user43100796 [vimeo.com]
2624 posts
Takes are not ideal in a shot lighting department as they are anything but portable out of the box. Bundles are a good idea but again not procedural and its impossible to deploy them across a shot lighting dept with out rolling your own version in python.

Rob
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links