Need help regarding melting an animated character

4717   10   2
26 posts
Hi all,

the character i am working on is melting at the moment using variable viscosity using attribute create node.
I am using metaball to define the specific locations of the character to melt. the problem is that the character doesnt animate anymore( after the flip fluid procedure). i am using a sop solver for the metaball interaction with the flip which is working but the moment i try to plugin the character on the (use external SOP) it starts to animate but doesnt melt at all. how can i retain the animation and melting effect both at once ?
do i need two sop solvers connected on the flipsolver?. i have tried many ways but it doesnt work.
i am coming from a Max background; your help would be highly appreciable.

thanks

2529 posts
There may be a check box for deforming geometry that you need to activate. Hard to say without seeing the scene file.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
26 posts
hey Enivob,

I counldnt find this deforming geometry option except in the static object node which i am not using.
Attached, is the scene file

you can plugin any piece of animated geom/character to see the results. I am using an alembic mesh.
Looking forward

thanks

Attachments:
viscosity_rnd_ver05.hip (1.8 MB)

2529 posts
Have you checked out Ben Watts tutorial on this topic?
https://vimeo.com/122217238 [vimeo.com]
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
79 posts
there are different ways to do that, one way is you can specify colors with attribute transfer at sops and in dops you can specify which color is to follow the fluid sim and which can keep the animation.
FX - Artist / TD
26 posts
Have you checked out Ben Watts tutorial on this topic?

yes. that is something for the static model.

rizviali110

thanks. I'll let you know if its working.

Edited by Junaid - Aug. 27, 2016 02:46:42
26 posts
rizviali110

I have specified colors with attribute create(high, low viscosity) but not sure how to to attribute transfer in order to deform/animated geom.
anyone with a quick complete response would be beneficial.

26 posts
is there any other forums/board for houdini help?

79 posts
its a basic setup that I ve created , you can further modify it by adding more controls.

Cheers

Attachments:
melt_fx_setup.hipnc (667.2 KB)

FX - Artist / TD
26 posts
thanks so much. furthermore, it would be helpful if you can define how to point expression the specific point positions to begin the melt.
13 posts
rizviali110
there are different ways to do that, one way is you can specify colors with attribute transfer at sops and in dops you can specify which color is to follow the fluid sim and which can keep the animation.

This Multisolver approach is so genius!! Thank you a lot!
  • Quick Links