Unified Noise study

20820   23   6
Staff
35 posts
Hello! I was curious about the types of noises that you could use for displacement and thought it would be fun to have a sort of glossary of what those noises and fractal types would look like. I only picked out the ones I thought were visually interesting…

Anyway, just thought I would share

Setup: I just had a simple polygon sphere and threw on a principled shader, then used the Unified Noise to displace.

P.S. I initially tried to keep the noise types together in some sort of order but.. layout dictated differently
Edited by fianna - Aug. 21, 2016 10:30:23

Attachments:
unifiednoise_types.jpg (1.0 MB)

-fianna
4189 posts
Really nice! Would be awesome to see this in the documentation, with their .hip files too.
761 posts
I see a flower, snow, a planet surface and bubble skin.
【T】【C】【S】
603 posts
Um, wow….so that's some serious Noise there.

Would love to know how to bake these down for 3rd party rendering.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
1737 posts
Very handy, thanks!

Just looked at that image on a laptop, the text is a bit too small to read. Any chance of a higher res image?

Ah, your updated image is much better, thanks.

Edited by mestela - Aug. 21, 2016 19:26:36
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
280 posts
yes whats the point of posting it if it cant be read?
Staff
35 posts
Hmm Patar/Matt - looks like my image got scaled down on the img upload site i put it on..

*argh.. i didnt want to put it as an attachment but it seems that all those image upload sites either resize your img or force you to go to their page

anyway..about including into docs, I can ask about that..but i dunno about the .hip files. I've marked down all the settings used to get each one, so you should get same look of displacement with those settings (hopefully i didnt forget to put some down in my excitement of "oooh that's a cool shape!").
Edited by fianna - Aug. 21, 2016 10:41:15
-fianna
710 posts
Pretty neat fianna.

The image didn't get scaled down btw, it's just that the zoomed view won't let you see it at 1:1. If you open the image in a new tab you can view it at the proper size.
419 posts
Awesome Fianna! Thanks for sharing very helpful!
Staff
35 posts
thanks guys - will see about doing more of these with other noises and also baking demo.
-fianna
453 posts
Great work!

- Did anyone else observe that unified noise in VOPs is kinda slow?
1265 posts
Yes, way too slow to use on large scale shots. I kinda stopped using it. a pity really.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
118 posts
thanks for sharing the test, and for the documentation. It's super useful!

However, having a little C4d background I have to admit that the package of noises offered by Maxon is the single feature that I really miss now in Houdini.

For your evaluation this link provides the default noises offered in in c4d.
http://kbase.vectorworks.net/questions/1240/Renderworks+Noise+Shaders+-+Visual+Guide [kbase.vectorworks.net]
(Stupl, naki, nutous, luka are my favorite ones)

How to have such interesting noises in Houdini too?
It's just a matter of playing with the Unified Noise and\or combine different noises together?
Staff
2540 posts
Unified noise is a mash of many different pattern generators (noises) and operations on those patterns: fractals, band pass filters, folding with absolute for billowiness, etc.

You can play with Unified Noise as it offers most patterns in Houdini normalized from 0 to 1 or -1 to 1 in a convenient mid level VOP node.

Playing with the various atomic pattern generators as layers and masks in Houdini can also be used create neat patterns but that's somewhat low level but lots of fun.
There's at least one school like the old school!
118 posts
thanks for the additional info Jeff
Staff
35 posts
Andr1 - those default noise are certainly nice hmmmm!
-fianna
333 posts
Werner Ziemerink
Yes, way too slow to use on large scale shots. I kinda stopped using it. a pity really.
I wanted to add that the old unified noise 1.0 was a lot faster. version 2.0 is way too slow.
333 posts
Hi,
this threat inspired me in doing some Stuff:

I hope its okay I share them here:

Generating Floors, Panels? Why not:

Voronoizer:

Displacements:

Here you can see some other stuff [microbot.ch]
99 posts
Amazing thread
this is a garden vase I did as a study of noise procedural shading and getting it ready for baking out diverse channels

Attachments:
vase.0013.jpg (144.8 KB)

900 posts
Hello,

I need to use the Unified Noise output and remap it to specific new ranges.
The problem is that I don't know what are the bounds of the different ‘unified noises’.
Without this information I can't really do a precise a remap, right?

Only piece of information I could find about the noise ranges is here [www.sidefx.com], but those values don't seem to apply to the Unified Noises.
Example: the sparse convolution in the Turbolent Noise is said to be in range (-1.7, 1.7), but this is a range that I clearly not see in the Sparse Convolution of the Unified Noise.

Anybody has the real values?
Otherwise I should go empirical by offsetting the different noises along the time in a solver and register the min max values?

Thanks for any help!
  • Quick Links