ICE Exodus - porting ICE to VEX part 1

6153   7   1
10 posts
yo, raps !!!

friends, take a look
https://vimeo.com/94066674 [vimeo.com]

How to port our precious ICE stuff into houdini vex. Questions raised - how to create a custom parameter in VEX, just like we do in ICE, and why there are different results in math.
This is interesting i think.

so can any Houdini Vex experts comment on the custom variable - is it easy as declaring it as it is in Ice?

If you know the answers feel free to comment )))
Hakuna Matata ))) ahahahaha ))))
918 posts
Hi,

I'm too much of a newbie to fully understand what's going on in VOPs here, but a simple point node with an expression to the formular seems to yield the same result as in ICE.

Have a look.

Andy

Attachments:
ICE_to_VEX_v01.hipnc (88.7 KB)

575 posts
to solve the mismatch in the results, add a degree to radians vop in You network in front of all trigonometric functions, like sin and cos, they expect all values in radians. in hscript degrees are ok

for the parameter stuff, I'm not sure what You are trying to achive. It looks like You are writing data to geometry in the first set data , and then read it out later. I'm not sure why You want this, but that does not work that way in houdini,You can not work import data in the same vex tree that is set here. that must happen in a previous vopsop
918 posts
Thanks sanostol,

pesky little radians ;-)

I've attached another .hip with point wrangle nodes. There is something I would like to ask about ‘order of operation’ or ‘dot before dash’ specifically in the line where t is defined. As they give different results.

Thank you,

Andy

P.S.: The PointWrangle node is awesome fast to cook.

Attachments:
ICE_to_VEX_v02.hipnc (98.0 KB)

10 posts
to solve the mismatch in the results, add a degree to radians vop in You network in front of all trigonometric functions, like sin and cos, they expect all values in radians. in hscript degrees are ok

aha, thanks a lot, sanostol

for the parameter stuff, I'm not sure what You are trying to achive. It looks like You are writing data to geometry in the first set data , and then read it out later. I'm not sure why You want this, but that does not work that way in houdini,You can not work import data in the same vex tree that is set here. that must happen in a previous vopsop

i want to work in VEX just like i used to work in ICE, thats all ))) if it is not possible in VEX, its actually ok, thats what i wanted to figure out - is it possible or not.
mission completed, thank you again !
10 posts
Andy, you did a great job !!! i want to attach your scenes to the video?
can i do it?
575 posts
Andy58
Thanks sanostol,

pesky little radians ;-)

I've attached another .hip with point wrangle nodes. There is something I would like to ask about ‘order of operation’ or ‘dot before dash’ specifically in the line where t is defined. As they give different results.

Thank you,

Andy

P.S.: The PointWrangle node is awesome fast to cook.

thats correct:
2.0/2.0*3.0 is different to 2.0/(2.0*3.0),
if You get rid of the brackets it is equal to 2.0/2.0/3.0.
Or I completely do not get Your question

the new wrangle nodes are fantastic, the possibility to create geometry sidefx added opens a new worlds
483 posts
Hopefully a little bit helpy,
PI is: http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini13.0/expressions/_globals [sidefx.com]
$PI
use it like:
float t = @ptnum/2.0/3.14;
float t = @ptnum/2.0/$PI;
English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
  • Quick Links