Sculpting on multiple objects at the same time

3957   3   2
161 posts
Hello,

Here is a question from our modelers and riggers:

While modeling, we often have to move points on multiple objects at the same time. Is it possible to do so in Houdini? If yes, how?

When we try, it seems that the viewport dives into the object to be in point, edge or polygon mode. Thus, it looks like it is not possible to dive into multiple objects at the same time for a given viewport..

I guess we could merge the objects together, move the points and then unmerge them, but this sounds like a long workflow when you want to edit hundreds of objects at the same time and repeat this over and over again…

What would be the best way to edit multiple objects at the same time in Houdini?
Staff
3455 posts
merging really is the only way…
I don't think you can do this is other packages…Maya would have different shapes below their transforms - not sure you can edit more than one at a time…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
161 posts
Hi Arctor,

Thank you for your answer.

In fact, yes it is possible to edit multiple objects at the same time in Maya and in Softimage. This makes the workflow so convenient for modelling and shape modelling.

In Maya it does not create multiple shapes under the transform, it just edits the existing ones.

The logic is really simple, it just adds “edit” operators to the graph of each objects being edited.

I will create an RFE for it since this is really really needed for our modellers
Staff
3455 posts
ah - ok…been a while since I've edited geometry in Maya

thanks for the RFE
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links