Character to BFX -> Unreal

10574   25   5
174 posts
Hi,
Is an Imported FBX Character modified in Houdini and re-Exported as FBX is known as “Working” correctly in Unreal ?
402 posts
If it's not too complicated, it should work, yes.
174 posts
Thanks,
And for the blendhapes that's not possible right ?
402 posts
They should also work. If you have a test character its worth trying blend shapes in UE4 as well. Just make sure to use an a recent version of Houdini.
23 posts
I did some testing. Blend shapes do not export from Houdini into either UE4 or Blender using .fbx. Blend shapes from Blender are not imported into Houdini using .fbx. I'm testing using the latest daily build (15.5.535).

Characters exported from Houdini are tiny (100 times smaller), even if the master scale is increased by 100 times the rig scale is not increased so bone rotations don't work correctly in UE4.

It's a shame because I really want to make procedural game characters for UE4.

173 posts
Houdini FBX exporter does not do blendshapes afaik. You may be able to use the Houdini gamedev toolset thing to get around that.

https://github.com/sideeffects/GameDevelopmentToolset/wiki [github.com]
710 posts
The FBX blendshape export is already an RFE and has been for more than a year I think. At the moment I don't believe there is a viable method of getting blendshapes for character use into UE4/Unity/etc.
173 posts
You can export vertex animations using the texture method in that link above. So there's a viable method.
23 posts
Those tools could be useful for simulations but not for characters.
1192 posts
I did test Steven's toolset and while it's very nice for lots of things, you won't be able to get a lip-synch at the exact timing from H to UE.
There is a collection of Python scripts around that allow you to embed blendshapes in an FBX as a post-process, but without their animation.
After studying it a bit, I suppose it can be extended to get the animation as well.

Yes, this is a long standing RFE, BTW.
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
1192 posts
Here are the scripts:
http://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/42624/?page=2#post-192236 [sidefx.com]
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
23 posts
That looks better but it's not great that you can't export normals. The animation thing could be an issue too. Honestly until there's blend shape support for .fbx that supports everything I'll just create my characters in Blender.
8 posts
Still no support for this? I mean how can anyone take this software seriously when its missing such a crucial feature its pretty much useless for any Game Development. If I am forced to use another software for blendshapes I may as well use it for everything, only top tier AAA studios can afford pipeline with multiple software packages.

I will definitely not be renewing our licenses for next year until this is solved since Houdini has been practically sitting at the bench since we discovered you can't export blendshapes from it. Shame since otherwise its great software.
173 posts
I wouldn't be as extreme as a previous ortator, but lack of blendshapes is somewhat limiting. Houdini used for much more than just animation. And let's admit it, Houdini is probably not a package of choice for gamedev animation to begin with. But yes, it means there's one less thing we can do with Houdini.
Edited by ttvdsfx - Sept. 7, 2016 10:42:05
1192 posts
ttvdsfx
And let's admit it, Houdini is probably not a package of choice for gamedev animation to begin with.
I'm losing you here TBH.

Peter Stefcek
Still no support for this? I mean how can anyone take this software seriously when its missing such a crucial feature its pretty much useless for any Game Development. If I am forced to use another software for blendshapes I may as well use it for everything, only top tier AAA studios can afford pipeline with multiple software packages.

I will definitely not be renewing our licenses for next year until this is solved since Houdini has been practically sitting at the bench since we discovered you can't export blendshapes from it. Shame since otherwise its great software.
I think it would be more productive to contact support and get added on the corresponding RFE, as suggested here: http://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/45588/?page=2#post-203515 [sidefx.com]
and have a constructive discussion there about what would be needed for our pipelines.
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
453 posts
If I remember correctly, I had a scenario where I had a character with blendshapes exported from Maya and I opened it in Houdini and exported it again. And that retained its blendshapes, so maybe it's worth looking at the setup that Houdini produces when you import an FBX with blendshapes.

Also I think you should be able to work around this with Unreal 4.13 pose system (although you really really should not have to).
1192 posts
DASD
Also I think you should be able to work around this with Unreal 4.13 pose system (although you really really should not have to).
The Unreal pose system deals with bones.
Dragos Stefan
www.dragosstefan.ro
8 posts
digitallysane
Peter Stefcek

I think it would be more productive to contact support and get added on the corresponding RFE, as suggested here: http://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/45588/?page=2#post-203515 [sidefx.com]
and have a constructive discussion there about what would be needed for our pipelines.

Believe me I contacted them, I talked to them repeatedly even personally on various conferences like GDC where they are pushing Houdini heavily into gamedev and they always said they will have some solution soon. So sorry for my frustration here. I believe in this software and I really like it so much I even have my own personal license outside of company just so I can play with it at home as well. But doing such a massive push into gamedev without having sorted one of the basic pillars of gamedev such as blendshapes for such a long time is quite dissapointing and that is an understatement.

EDIT: Btw as your suggested I just requested to add this personal account to the RFE as well, just to pump up the numbers. You are right we need to push this awesome software anyway we can.
Edited by sHTiF - Nov. 26, 2016 05:20:30
240 posts
Just to chime in here. I recently joined SideFX and am taking over Steven's game development tools. My first focus has been Real Time FX in order to round out the strong toolset.

Character animation is very close to my heart and something that I'm getting more into in Houdini. I've managed to get the UE4 mannequin to do a roundtrip into Houdini and out with animation. You guys are right, blendshapes are becoming an important part of a gamedev animation pipeline and I'll make sure to push those RFEs internally.

You are correct, we are doing a massive push into gamedev, and we're going to continue to do so (can't wait to share what we've been working on). The first areas are modeling and FX, but animation isn't too far behind.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm listening and going to do all I can to represent the needs of the gamedev users.
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
8 posts
Thank you Luiz, looking forward to it.

By the way are you doing GDC this year as well guys? Really liked the booth presentations last year.
  • Quick Links