How to lower render time without loosing quality?

5956   10   0
116 posts
Hello,

I have a question.
How to render out animation in HD (i do not want to loose a animation quality):
I need a tiff sequence at the moment.
At the moment i am using Mantra to render out and i am rendering TIF sequence files
with resolution 1280 x 720
I want to import that TIF sequence later to Adobe After Effects where i continue my work.
At the moment i am using Intel Core i7 CPU (3.20 GHz)
6BG Installed memory (ram)
and using 10 000 rpm hdd drive (as my SSD went bad)
I have installed windows 10
My FIle is total 900 frames
Mantra has rendered allready 61 hours and 55 minutes.
and has done 100 frames from 900 frames
What should i turn of in this case?
Note! I do not want to loose render quality and images it renders out should look like you see in picture that i attached.

Attachments:
render.time.PNG (323.0 KB)
mantra.render.PNG (8.8 KB)
Black.mass.from.scratch.with.hip (2.0 MB)

2529 posts
There is no fix for this, Mantra is slow.

Use a third party render system such as Octane to accelerate rendering speed.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
Staff
2540 posts
Share your Mantra ROP settings? It's hard to know where the rays are going without seeing the parameters and some of the debug AOV extra image planes like direct and indirect rays…
There's at least one school like the old school!
236 posts
Enivob
There is no fix for this, Mantra is slow.

This is not helpful, also not true.

I've poked around your hip file. I have to be honest here, your shaders are a mess.
I'm going to leave your lighting setup alone for the time being, but it also needs work.

I replaced your shaders with a standard Mantra Surface to just get an idea what your geometry
is doing. On my i5 surface it renders in 2 minutes a frame at HD.

You're using the Basic Liquid shader, with both Sub Surface, refraction, reflection, and diffuse.
The insane render-time you have is because the shader is crazy.

As a first-step, to explain; you have it being refractive like glass, but also have Sub Surface enabled
so it's behaving like skin. I can help you out with the shading, but can you post some reference images
for what you want it to look like?

Also, you have the points set to be default 1 unit radius spheres, is this what you want?

Lewie
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
116 posts
Hello,

Thank you for trying to help me out here.
I created the first object based on tutorial that was created by BW Design
Quick Tip 01 - Growth Propagation In Houdini
https://vimeo.com/149939158 [vimeo.com]
Then i as i failed to change the first object that he used there i followed all tutorial from beginning and used Sphere instead of torus and i did not want so intense mountain moovment so i did not use that and created this as u see that egg shape is created from sphere.
Then i did find out that with lights i am getting interesting effects like those particles look like liquid glass bubles (like an alien egg )And then i had idea that i want something to moove inside it like u see something is growing inside of the egg. Then i did bring in another copy of same project that BW Design used. And then i needed to bring in reavealing text and i used that again. This is why it is like that mess.
Then i found out that shattering tutorial https://vimeo.com/156396707 [vimeo.com]
And tried to break the egg bubbles with this effect but i failed to do that i droped that idea.
And i ended up doing this what i am rendering at the moment.
Main goal was to create something like this what you see on my pictures
Last picture is picture that i have managed to render out so far with tif sequence

Attachments:
Created in Houdini 19.PNG (185.2 KB)
Created in Houdini 16.PNG (285.2 KB)
Created in Houdini 15.PNG (327.4 KB)
Created in Houdini 14.PNG (403.8 KB)
Created in Houdini 13.PNG (473.3 KB)
render.time3.PNG (340.8 KB)
Logo_148.tif (2.3 MB)

116 posts
For some reason i can`t modify my previous post to add some text as i get an error 500 when i click on “edit” button.

If you take a look at my previous post (previous to this post) the second picture there you see an egg object that is created i wanted it to grow from zero and evolve in to egg.
And then light occurs inside of egg as u see in the picture. (like something is inside) and then it grows and moves inside (the Growth Propagation new object inside of the egg did seem right) as it had also that movement that was coming from “mountain” node
and wanted it to grow out from egg and make egg dissolve
This is why i have such a mess. And used those lights the way i did as in some camera angle i did find cool looks to my animation.
236 posts
The main thing that is slowing your scene down is your shaders.
We can get that nice blurred refraction fairly easily, but have you thought about maybe using a
copy sop to place smaller, animated spheres on to the points that are rendering I'll as your glass eggs?

So you've got a smaller sphere inside the bigger glass egg one, animating with maybe a noise of some type,
and you can have a simple skin-like shader on it, and make your glass egg shader a more simple one.

That will reduce render time. Also, the amount of reflection bounces you have set in Mantra will mean a
crazy amount of secondary reflection rays bouncing off your eggs, onto other eggs, and bouncing again, and
again. You can probably reduce reflection bounces to 2-3 instead of 10, and refraction might be able to
come down too.

I'll have a play around today, and see what I come up with. The effect you have looks pretty mate!

Cheers

Lewie

I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
116 posts
Thank you for helping me.
I had problem there
As when u dive inside the geometry level you see the nodes and at left side there is “attribwrangle1”
and it has f@accum = 0;
and right side there is f@init = 1;
also there is third “attributewrangle3”
it has @Cd = set(1,0,0,0);
and @Cd.x = @accum;

I know those are related to color but not 100% sure how (as i did follow this along in the tutorial)
also when you dive inside “Solver1” and there dive inside “attribvop1” there are those pcfilter1 and pcfilter52 that part all of that in that level is complex to me at the moment.
He promoted parameters there and did other stuff witch all i did not understand

But anyhow as from beginning his tutorial had that mountain in it.
Mountain caused object to have wave effect. (Effect like sea waves or something)
I wanted that egg itself has 0nly minor wave compared to the inside of egg
But i did not know how to do it this way that i can change the wave separately for both objects, also
my object did not work any more (the one i tried to copy with copy node) as needed it so be changed from sphere to torus or something else and when i tried to scale it down it changed colors i think as when i turned environment light on it did not work anymore
116 posts
Hmm seems that when i reduced reflection for rays it is rendering faster.
As when i went to sleep yesterday (or today morning ) and when i woke up (like 8 hours later mantra had rendered 7 frames.)
I stoped render and started it again and now in 45 minutes it has all ready rendered2 frames and quality does not seem worse.
I add 2 pictures from TIF sequence one is where reflection was way higher and one where it set lower. Do you see a difference?

Attachments:
Logo_155.tif (2.4 MB)
Logo_156.158.TIFF (4.4 MB)

116 posts
This is what i have so far.
I am not happy with this but will see. It is still rendering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A217OmB_YNQ&feature=youtu.be [youtube.com]
116 posts
Wanted to say hello to everyone and let u all know i am still investing my time in to Houdini but now also to zbrush.
Here is one version what turned out from this effect:

Attachments:
tuGSwrt.png (461.0 KB)

• Quick Links