Modulate particle birth rate by attribute

3897   2   0
2 posts
Hey all, I'm trying to do something which I'd believe should be pretty simple, but I can't seem to find a way to do it, and the forum discussions on the subject don't really help. I have particles emitting from a bunch of points that have the attribute emitStrength, with values that fluctuate 0 to 1. I just want these points to emit particles with a rate that is proportional to the attribute. If that's impossible, as the Birth Rate can't seem to be set per point, a way to kill the particles at birth with this value would work as well.

Thanks!
Staff
2540 posts
You can emit from surfaces with scatter probability with any weight attribute you wish. If you specify point emission then you birth from those points and the weight option is not available.

You can copy very very small spheres or disks to the points on to your source points and feed that in to the POP Source DOP using surface emission along with your attribute to determine the weight of probability.

See the attached example file for one setup using small primitive circles.

And if you really really want to have direct point emission with weight probability, The POP Source DOP is an HDA that uses plain old SOPs inside a SOP Solver DOP to generate the source points with the correct attributes to work with the POP Solver DOP. You can modify the asset to support exactly what you want in the extreme case. I think the extreme case may warrant this if you had a terrific number of raw source points and copying tiny primitive spheres or disks would tip you over the memory edge.

Attachments:
point_emission_with_pop_dops.hip (242.2 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
2 posts
Thank you! Looks like I'll go with the tiny disk solution for now, but I'll be sure to dive in the POP source DOP when I get the chance!
  • Quick Links