Issues exporting FBX from Houdini

7208   2   2
99 posts
So, I have a few issues. I am trying to export the result of a decently large SOP network as an FBX file instead of .OBJ. OBJ has no material (mtl) support out of Houdini AFAIK it would seem so I am wanting to try to use FBX.

My first issue is FBX 2016, which I believe is the default file type in houdini 15.5.(523) I have nothing that can currently open that new a version of FBX.

Is there a way to set FBX 2014 as the default? I have set the file>export>filmbox to be 2014.. I have also set filmboxfbx ropnet node to use FBX 2014 by default. However when I use my sop - Rop output driver.. and make the extension .fbx the file I get is UN-importable by any DCC I have, so I assume it is fbx 2016. The file size looks good though.. a few K different from the OBJ version.

This must be user error on my part.. but when I use the explicit file>export>Filmbox fbx dialogue box.. and set to 2014, in ascii.. I get a tiny 17k file that is nothing but a few named nulls and no geo. I get the same thing using the FBX ropnet. I can open them but they are empty. The output driver looks to make a proper file I cannot open

Is there a way to force the SOP output driver to use FBX 2014?

Is there something special I need to do in the file>export>Filmbox fbx dialogue box to actually get me geo out of my network and use the renderflag i have set. It seems I can only pick at the OBJ level of the network.

Thanks.
Edited by Kfinla - Aug. 25, 2016 12:30:35
2534 posts
It worked for me exporting non-ASCII with material to FBX 2014. Then I imported that file into Blender and I got my geometry and basic colors.

Make sure you have everything selected before you invoke the File/Export dialog. Move you mouse into Network view and try CTRL-A to select all.

Typically you have to re-work your materials anyway. While materials themselves are not actually saved with OBJ format, the material groups are so you can re-assign materials in the importing app.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
7714 posts
The FBX export in Houdini doesn't use the node selection. If you have a object network specified on the exporter, then it'll only export that node and the stuff inside it.
  • Quick Links