Houdini 14 System Requirements
Windows: Requires Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10 (32 or 64 bit)
Mac OS X: Requires 64-bit Intel-based Mac with OSX 10.10.2 and higher
gcc 4.8 is strongly recommended.
Ubuntu 12.04+ (64-bit)
Debian 7.0+ (64-bit)
RHEL 6+ (64-bit)
Fedora 13+ (64-bit)
Open SUSE 12.1+ (64-bit)
CentOS 6+ (64-bit)
Mint 13+ (64-bit)
VFX Reference Platform
Note: 32-bit Linux is no longer supported
All platforms require administrator privileges to install.
- 4 GB required
- 64bit Operating System recommended
- 8 GB or higher and 64bit strongly recommended for fluid simulations
- Recent generation 32 or 64-bit AMD or Intel processor (requires SSE or higher)
- 64-bit strongly recommended
- Quad core processor or better recommended
- Houdini supports MMX and Streaming SIMD (SSE2) where present
- 1GB required for installation
- 3 Button mouse required
- Scroll wheel used where present
- Wacom tablet recommended for Houdini's brush-based tools
We don't recommend any specific computer manufacturer. As long as your machine has the recommended RAM, CPU, graphics card, and VRAM, it should be acceptable for use.
- You must have a GL3 compliant graphics card in order to run Houdini.
- For Windows and Linux, you'll need a GL3 graphics card with a GL3.3 driver.
- For OSX, you'll need to be running OSX 10.10.2 or higher with a GL3 graphics card.
- Here is a list of cards supported for use with Houdini 14: Supported Graphics Cards
- It is VERY important that you install the latest driver for your graphics card. Failing to do so may result in display issues and/or slow performance.
- Graphic Card drivers: NVidia: 320 or higher, AMD: FirePro 12.104.2 or higher, Intel 10.18.10.3958 or higher.
- 2GB VRAM or more is required. 1GB or less of VRAM will result in display errors.
- High DPI displays, such as 4K (3820x2160) or 5K (5120x2880), require a GPU with a *minimum* of 3GB of VRAM. 4GB or higher is recommended.
- Minimum OpenGL version of 3.3.
- Hardware-accelerated OpenGL required for optimum performance.
- Performance may suffer with complex scenes on non-workstation graphics cards and on laptops.
- Houdini does not require support for Direct3D (all viewports and interfaces use OpenGL).
- Minimum resolution: 1024 x 768; Recommended resolution: 1920 x 1200 (widescreen).
- 2GB VRAM or higher required for dual displays or single displays greater than 1920x1080.
- Color depth of 32-bit (“true color”) required.
- We recommend you either select sRGB as your color profile or calibrate your monitor to gamma 2.2.
GPU Acceleration and OpenCL
- On certain graphics cards, Houdini can use the GPU to dramatically increase the performance and speed of your Pyro FX and Fluid simulations.
- In order to take advantage of this capability, you'll need a GPU capable of supporting OpenCL. On the Nvidia side, that would be a Tesla or a Quadro x000 series (non-FX Quadro; 600,2000,4000,5000,6000) or a GEForce 400 or 500 series. For AMD, you need a FirePro card (not FireGL) or a Radeon 5000, 6000, or 7000 series GPU. Intel's graphics are currently not able to support OpenCL, but they do have a CPU-oriented CL library which may work with Houdini in the future.
- The amount of VRAM your GPU has access to will limit the size of simulation that you can run on it. 2-3GB + is ideal for larger simulations.
- GPU acceleration for H14 currently does NOT make use of multiple OpenCL devices (i.e. two or more graphics cards) but this may change at a future date.
3rd Party Software Dependencies
- Scripting - Python 2.6.4, Python 2.7.5, XML2 2.8.0
- Dynamic Solvers - Bullet 2.81, ODE 0.10.1
- Data Exchange - FBX 2014.1, Collada 1.4.1, Alembic 1.5.2, Open EXR 2.2.0, OpenVDB 3.0, Field3D 1.3.2
- Compilers - Linux gcc4.4, gcc4.6, gcc4.8, Windows MSVC 2012, Mac OS X clang5.1
- Other - TBB 4.3, Boost 1.55.0, NumPy 1.7.1, OpenCL ATI-2.3, ATI-2.5, OpenSubdiv 2.1.0, ZLIB 1.2.7, libTIFF 3.9.2
- Sound card and speakers/headset required for audio
- Class C network (TCP/IP) recommended for local access licenses
- Network support required for offline simulation, batch processing and rendering
- Internet browser required for connection to www.sidefx.com (Houdini Exchange and Forum)
- Video encoder required for creating AVI/QT/etc.
Last updated Aug.7th, 2015