Create realistic motion that meets the creative needs of your director using Houdini's integrated dynamics tools. Built so that different solvers can talk to each other, you can simulate using any combination of Rigid Body, Fluid, Cloth and Wire solvers to create boundary-busting effects.
Solvers that Work Together. When working with dynamics, it is critical that you can control both what goes into a simulation and what comes out. Rigid Body, Fluid, Cloth and Wire dynamics all work together to create highly sophisticated and never before seen simulations that you can integrate seamlessly into your existing effects pipeline.
Fire, Smoke and Water. To create natural looking fluid effects, you can work with volume-based or particle-based fluid simulations in Houdini. Apply a variety of forces such surface tension, viscosity, visco-elasticity, vorticles and gas to control the results. Particle fluids can be surfaced at the geometry level to produce high quality splashes.
Smashing Results. Houdini’s Rigid Body Dynamics solver lets you create highly complex simulations of large data sets. The solver works with various forces, constraints and collisions and gives you complete control over all aspects of the simulation. A unique and powerful feature is Houdini’s Rigid Body Glue that holds together pre-fractured geometry until a you set up a collision or force to break it up.
Rigid Body Dynamics
- Easily animate objects coming into and out of Rigid Body simulations
- Add dynamic constraints such as hinges, pins, and springs using simple shelf tools
- Gain additional control using a variety of external forces like gravity, fan, drag, vortex, or fluid force
- Rigid Body Glue lets you hold together pre-fractured geometry until a collision occurs
- Animated surface deformations can interact with other objects during a simulation
- Work with per-point attributes such as friction and bounciness using a brush-based workflow
- Use impact values to create effects such as crushing geometry or to reveal dirt maps on colliding surfaces
- Unified dynamics environment makes it easy to set up solvers that influence each other to create highly realistic simulation
- Keyframe an object between active (simulated) and inactive (keyframe animated) to take manual control of a simulated object, then put it back under the control of the simulation
- Use Squishy dynamic object to create soft body like deformations
- Create waves and ripple simulations quickly with the ripple dynamic object
- Create high quality smoke and fire with Houdini's Pyro FX tools. Utilizing up-resing technology, Pyro FX makes it possible to create a low resolution simulation in planning out a shot, then increase the resolution on subsequent passes to add higher level of details and refinement
- Create liquid simulations with a powerful level-set solution
- Slice up and distribute fluid simulations over a network of computers
- Simulate in either 2D or 3D using real life influences such as surface tension, viscosity, and visco-elasticity
- Combustion models support fuel igniting and releasing heat and gas
- RBD objects can float in any fluid simulation and can act as a source for fuel and smoke
- Smoothed particle hydrodynamics solver that lets you easily create fluid effects with detailed splashing
- Per particle access using Houdini’s particle editing and rendering techniques provides you with total artistic control
- Particles can be surfaced with special tools designed to take into account both the particle motion and the colliding geometry
- Control wires and wire points with attributes such as thickness, length, rigidity, and curl
- Work with jointed networks of wires like trees or knotted ropes
- Easily constrain wires to one or more of their defining vertices then animate the constraint turning off for even more dynamic results
- Simulate long and short hair using groomed guide hairs constrained to deforming skin
- Cloth collisions work with RBD objects, wire objects, cloth objects and particles
- Constrain the cloth to vertices on any static, moving, dynamic or deforming surface
- Create highly complex simulations of large data sets
- Output resulting simulations to Houdini’s Channel Operators to refine the final look