i dont have a houcini cd where can i get libGLU ?

7015   10   1
237 posts
i don't have a Houdini CD where can i get libGLU ?

the website recommends install this file from the CD and from what I here they don't send out Cd's anymore.

any help?
Robert Kelly
7710 posts
I don't think this file is needed anymore(?). Which video card and driver version?
268 posts
I remmember having to set this under linux to get Houdini working on Fedora with a Geforce card.

setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1

Hopefully that might do the trick for you.
237 posts
Yes i have that veariable. i dont think i would have gotten to see anything if i didnt alredy have that in.
Robert Kelly
4140 posts
You still haven't answered Ed's question, which is highly relevant. Card? Driver version?

GLU issues are usually to do with what GL code for what card you're running under what distro. If you're running NVidia, you should be installing the Detonator drivers that you get from the nvidia web site… Missing GLU usually means the system isn't setup properly for OpenGL, as opposed to something that comes with Houdini…

J.C.
John Coldrick
237 posts
geforce 4 mx 440
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1
Mandrake 10 kernel 2.6.3

I have been using windows while I wait for my router to be shipped on a slow boat from china. My network setup messes with my getting a working license. This is why i wasn?ft getting back to you too quickly. I had Houdini working at one stage with poor opengl, but now i am wanting to actually get some Houdini work done. Rangi Sutton is having the same trouble with Houdini, mandrake 10 gforce-go card and opengl.

Now my card may be far from pro, But I was under the impression that Linux would be faster than windows not incredibly slow. :?
Robert Kelly
4140 posts
Almost without a doubt you're not utilizing the proper NVidia Gl drivers - this manifests as super-slow(essentially OGL is being done in software). There is no profound difference between OGL in Windows and in Linux assuming the same hardware/driver version. I thought I saw some references to mandrake-specific versions on the nvidia website, may be wrong. All your problems reside in that area, though, not Houdini. Dig through the nvidia site looking for FAQs and google your card and linux distro for more hints…

Sorry - I don't use Mandrake myself…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
237 posts
I thought because of the unified driver architect I had no choice in the matter just get the latest NVIDIA drivers for Linux and that is it.

The NVIDIA drivers compiled with my kernel source.

While in Houdini the performance could be behaving as if it wasn?ft hardware accelerated unreal 2004 is a touch faster under Linux. That may hint at the problem being something else.
Robert Kelly
4140 posts
OK, then if you're getting decent speeds with UT, that means you *are* getting GL and it's unrelated to GLU.

Since you're using an older card, the next step is to look through display options. First off, fiddle with GUI accessible stuff like Dbl-buffer, etc. After that, look at

hconfig -h

and try out some of those GL associated envars… I seem to recall way back when using a card like yours there was something to set there…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
7 posts
I assume you are having a problem because the libGLU library is not present. You are getting an error message like: “libGLU.so not found”, right?

If so, all you need to do is install the appropriate libGLU.so for your system. One SHOULD have come with the NVIDIA drivers, but it doesn't really matter which one you use since libGLU is not specific to a particular OpenGL card.

You could try this one:
http://fr2.rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/sourceforge/m/me/mesa3d/glu-1.3-1.i386.html [fr2.rpmfind.net]
237 posts
Well I have been waiting for a router for over a month ant that will make setting up the license server simple. I just got a NVIDIA gforce fx 5900. So I will see how things work when I get the license server working. I had gotten Houdini?fs license server to work at one stage but I am sick of fighting the system.

I am running in windows with dual monitors and it is so sweet. Houdini doesn?ft like running with “dual monitors” as much as a “stretched desktop”.
Robert Kelly
  • Quick Links