exporting particles to maya

4154   3   1
63 posts
Hi all-

Is it possible to export a houdini particle system to maya?

-vrljc
412 posts
you can just export the points as a sequence of geometry files. just export them with the geomtry rop and your choice of format (obj i would assume for maya)..

if using apprentice, then i dont think there is a geo rop.
Dave Quirus
63 posts
I have used this method before and I have had no success with it thus far. Have you?

If this method does work, then how do you import the .obj sequence into maya? I cannot even import a single .obj into maya, even with the .obj export/import plug-in turned on. Nothing shows up.

One thing that has worked before is I have used the copy sop to instance low poly spheres onto the particles, then I exported the instanced spheres as a .obj sequence. Then i succesfully imported that .obj sequence into lightwave.

What I need to do now is to do the same thing, except the particles need to be single points and I need to import that .obj sequence into maya.

Any ideas?

-vrljc
7714 posts
That's a maya question. From the mailing list, someone mentioned something about a fileInterp mel script on highend3d:
http://www.sidefx.com/community/interact/mailarchive/index.php?view=WEB&msgid=3D70AF13.9080004@eircom.net&perpage=20&revdate=off [sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links