Question about Houdini Apprentice HD license

3899   7   4
5 posts
Hello

I have a computer that dual-boots windows and osx. If I purchase the apprentice hd license can I install houdini on both operating systems with one license or would i have to buy two?

Thanks!

- Marcin
330 posts
Hi. I'm almost certain a license is consumed, and you need to release it to use it on another platform.
1390 posts
uniqueloginname
Hi. I'm almost certain a license is consumed, and you need to release it to use it on another platform.

I think Marcin asks whether the license is cross platform or not. Here is a semi-answer:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1026&Itemid=320 [sidefx.com]

which probably means it can be done with manual installation of license file on a second platform. Why it's not “officially supported” it's hard to say. Probably SESI doesn't want to hassle with manual licensing. I hardly believe anyone see problem with using Houdini HD on dual boot…
5 posts
The answer in that FAQ is truly ambiguous

So it might be technically possible just not “officially” supported… would be nice if they at least said whether or not they consider it “fair use”.

Easy enough to check with the free version I guess. If I understand correctly the regular apprentice uses same license method as the hd version? Will check it out tonight.

If anyone already tried please share your experience

Thanks again!
- Marcin

PS. It is really AWESOME of Side Effects Software to release a non-commercial (almost) fully functional version for as low as 99usd. I wish more companies would do that.
7710 posts
marcin.binczyk
So it might be technically possible just not “officially” supported… would be nice if they at least said whether or not they consider it “fair use”.

I would imagine that something like that would be spelled out in the EULA but I haven't read it.
Staff
181 posts
Our official position is: it is technically possible, and you are welcome to try it.
If it works, yes, you are allowed to use your license in both platforms.
If it doesn't, you are out of luck, as the licensing tools weren't really created to perform that way.
5 posts
OK, thanks for clarifying that!

- Marcin
94 posts
silvina
Our official position is: it is technically possible, and you are welcome to try it.
If it works, yes, you are allowed to use your license in both platforms.
If it doesn't, you are out of luck, as the licensing tools weren't really created to perform that way.

So it would be required to have same computer name and same IP on both worlds (OSX & Win) and have the same NIC set as primary, right ??
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
  • Quick Links