Do you use Houdini for..

7754   6   4
36 posts
I know its strengths for VFX, Proced-Modeling and Mantra. But I want to start doing other things in it that I would normally do in Maya or max. Such as animation and maybe even character design (w/ Zbrush).

I have to ask you guys. Do you use Houdini for anything other than VFX,P.Model and Mantra? I would like to eliminate the use of multiple 3d softwares if Houdini can get the job done….Can it? (keeping Zbrush of course)

If you have any examples, Id love to see them.
56 posts
this one i am gona follow :O)
http://lefhstudio.blogspot.dk/ [lefhstudio.blogspot.dk]
192 posts
rigging and anim are very strong particularly for more esoteric types of rigging and animation tasks (like when there are lots of character driven fx)

also, fur and feathers.
36 posts
brianBurke
rigging and anim are very strong particularly for more esoteric types of rigging and animation tasks (like when there are lots of character driven fx)

If you dont mind can you expand on what type of projects would this work for? So that when the time comes Ill understand the strengths for it.
Staff
3455 posts
The Wild : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405469/ [imdb.com]
everything on this film was done in Houdini (except comp and some modeling)
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
543 posts
CHOPs: I use it for music, data analysis, scientific viz, real time control, etc.
========================================================
You are no age between space
1799 posts
Depending on the kind of work you need to do, you can also use it for compositing. One nice thing to doing this in Houdini is that you can make the rendering to compositing process pretty seamless (IE use COPs in your DAs)
-G
  • Quick Links