Why shouldn't I character model?

5724   13   5
36 posts
I know this is counter productive. But I usually do my modeling with max or maya / ZB.

But I want to eliminate the hassle of using so many softwares. I was thinking of making Houdini my main source of everything + ZB.

Can you guys tell me why I shouldnt character/organic model in Houdini if I already know Maya and Max workflows?
257 posts
Hey there,

if you just want to compare ZBrush with Houdini, it has so much more to offer being a modeling/sculpting software like being able to paint fine details into your characters/creatures. You get so much more control being able to use the tablet too, i also believe Ptex was integrated into Houdini because they know artist want to import their models from other packages (ZBrush. 3DCoat etc).

I find it hard to answer that question, if i was proficient modeling with Houdini - I would probably ask why switch over to Maya/Max, it comes down what one is comfortable with, when you are already comfortable with a certain workflow, you tend to stick to it. Hehe! That's also one of the many reasons why studios dont change their pipeline/softwares casually, their artists are accustomed specific 3D packages.

I've seen organic models done completely in Houdini, so it's not impossible. Maybe someone specialized in modeling will come along and point out key differences?

Hope it helps…

eitht.
36 posts
eitht
Hey there,

if you just want to compare ZBrush with Houdini, it has so much more to offer being a modeling/sculpting software like being able to paint fine details into your characters/creatures. You get so much more control being able to use the tablet too, i also believe Ptex was integrated into Houdini because they know artist want to import their models from other packages (ZBrush. 3DCoat etc).

I've seen organic models done completely in Houdini, so it's not impossible. Maybe someone specialized in modeling will come along and point out key differences?

Hope it helps…

eitht.

This actually does help. It lets me know that some one out there can do it. I would love to just do a houdini + ZB workflow. Is there anything wrong with Houdini modeling? Why isnt it up there with the others?
257 posts
Houdini focus on procedural workflow, i guess there's not much “proceduralism” in organic compared to modeling stuff like roads or cities. I'm sure everybody agrees when i say Houdini is strongest at effects.

It's up there with the others but in a different zone, that's all! ><

eitht.
36 posts
Yeah, I think thats what im trying to get past. I dont want to have to resort to maya or max because they are better at it. Well I guess, my questions is, why are they better? What is it Houdini is lacking in that field which makes it not as pleasing. My desire to to be strictly Houdini, I just need to know why I cant. Of course anyone can say, “do what you like” or “you can do anything”, but I want a more realistic understanding of its drawbacks.
79 posts
I'm not sure what else you are doing other than organic modeling and texturing. Can you do it in Houdini - yes absolutely. Is it better than Maya et al. depends on what you are doing what you are used to and how often you are doing it. The great thing with Houdini is that you can create some pretty wicked custom tools if you are doing similar operations over and over again.

Just out of curiosity have you heard of 3d-coat? Have you compared that to z-brush and what do you think? Their voxel based sculpting/additive tools are pretty awesome/quick for modeling organic models - and can be brought back and forth from Houdini (or any package) pretty easily.
36 posts
are2d2
I'm not sure what else you are doing other than organic modeling and texturing. Can you do it in Houdini - yes absolutely. Is it better than Maya et al. depends on what you are doing what you are used to and how often you are doing it. The great thing with Houdini is that you can create some pretty wicked custom tools if you are doing similar operations over and over again.

Just out of curiosity have you heard of 3d-coat? Have you compared that to z-brush and what do you think? Their voxel based sculpting/additive tools are pretty awesome/quick for modeling organic models - and can be brought back and forth from Houdini (or any package) pretty easily.

Never heard of 3d-coat. But I went to the site, and I have to say I am very interested now. How often do you use it? How much of it do you know, in comparison to Zbrush? Do you have any samples of what youve done with it?
79 posts
I don't really use it that much yet, I just started learning it. But so far I am sold and want to continue using it more. I don't really know z-brush that well, but from the people that I have spoken to that have used both I've had a lot of people recommend 3-D coat over z-brush. I just like how intuitive, simple and fast it is.
36 posts
are2d2
I don't really use it that much yet, I just started learning it. But so far I am sold and want to continue using it more. I don't really know z-brush that well, but from the people that I have spoken to that have used both I've had a lot of people recommend 3-D coat over z-brush. I just like how intuitive, simple and fast it is.

Awesome, Im gonna try it. How experienced are you with Houdini? Im having a tough time try to tackle what I should learn first. So much, I just dont understand.
79 posts
My knowledge of Houdini is intermediate. What is it that you want to learn? What do you eventually want to do with Houdini? Is this for future career possibility or is this ‘I want to do something cool in the evenings’.

http://vimeo.com/user2030228 [vimeo.com]

THIS is a good place to start….

Cheers.
20 posts
Lmayfield
I know this is counter productive. But I usually do my modeling with max or maya / ZB.

But I want to eliminate the hassle of using so many softwares. I was thinking of making Houdini my main source of everything + ZB.

Can you guys tell me why I shouldnt character/organic model in Houdini if I already know Maya and Max workflows?

You can definetely use Houdini for modelling. It is not designed for organic modelling but it has all the tools and more to do organic stuff. I would not model highres models in Houdini(it might get tedious to use the procedural approach), but you can make your cages in Houdini and detail in Zbrush.
1192 posts
Lmayfield
Of course anyone can say, “do what you like” or “you can do anything”, but I want a more realistic understanding of its drawbacks.
You can model pretty much anything in Houdini, including doing quite fast some stuff that can be very hard to approach in other packages.
For viewport-oriented, non-procedural, organic modelling, Houdini can be slower than other packages out there. Again, you *can* model anything but you would do a human face faster in XSI or Max.
For example, the viewport selection tools in Houdini are not as good as in Max or XSI or Modo.
You should get familiar with the tools, some of which are different than those in other packages. I would advise to just go through the help for SOPs, node by node, and load the examples on each help page and check them. Looks intimidating but in a few days you would get a nice picture of what's possible.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
1799 posts
Just felt I had to chime in as someone who started using the Houdini 3D coat combo this year. It is wicked awesome. I feel that I have so much more freedom in 3D coat compared to zbrush (on which most of the time I am wrestling with the ui). Also the retopo and uv tools in 3d coat will make getting your model ready for rendering a breeze (or you can use ptex )

This is where the procedural side of Houdini totally rocks: Getting your mesh out of 3d coat into Houdini, and doing all neccesary conditioning (IE mirroring your mesh, rigging, material assignments, etc) can be made seamless using a Digital asset. Basically, at any point you can go back to the original model in 3d coat, change it, export it, and have all your Houdini updates happen on it on the fly. Totally non destructive workflow

Hope it helps!
-G
1799 posts
Just felt I had to chime in as someone who started using the Houdini 3D coat combo this year. It is wicked awesome. I feel that I have so much more freedom in 3D coat compared to zbrush (on which most of the time I am wrestling with the ui). Also the retopo and uv tools in 3d coat will make getting your model ready for rendering a breeze (or you can use ptex )

This is where the procedural side of Houdini totally rocks: Getting your mesh out of 3d coat into Houdini, and doing all neccesary conditioning (IE mirroring your mesh, rigging, material assignments, etc) can be made seamless using a Digital asset. Basically, at any point you can go back to the original model in 3d coat, change it, export it, and have all your Houdini updates happen on it on the fly. Totally non destructive workflow

Hope it helps!
-G
  • Quick Links