MacBook Pro - Intel/AMD graphics caveat?

3126   2   1
301 posts
Hi,

Given Houdini's strict OpenGL requirement, will Side Effects be providing some indication on Houdini's suitability for use on the new line of MacBook Pro ?

Especially the 13" model with Intel 3000 HD IGP.

Regards
Nicholas Yue
Staff
5156 posts
I am looking into the HD 3000 situation. The next version of OSX (10.7) will have OpenGL 3.2 support for supported hardware, but I don't know exactly where the HD 3000 falls. Wikipedia lists it as an OpenGL 3 / DirectX 10.1 graphics part, so it should be capable of GL3.2. Since Apple is writing the OpenGL API for it, it would be up to them to determine how much of Intel's GPU to expose. Intel's OpenGL drivers have traditionally been unusable, but with Apple at the helm they might work ok.

As for the AMD parts, I suspect support for Houdini will be fine. The current crop of AMD cards work better than Nvidia on OSX, at least with Houdini.

Personally, given the somewhat aenemic specs of the MBP 13 (Intel graphics, 1280x800 screen), I'd jump up to the 15
56 posts
*bump*

Is there any updated news about the HD3000 and Houdini? on OSX (or running houdini + linux + hd3000 even)

Alvin
  • Quick Links