applying an orientation to a bone

5706   4   1
237 posts
I have a spine and would like to apply the blended rotations on several blend objects to the bones

So?c
chain_bone1 = the orientation of Blend1
chain_bone2 = the orientation of Blend2
chain_bone3 = the orientation of Blend3
chain_bone4 = the orientation of Blend4

I have a really simple file to apply the solution to
a link to the forum poast on odforce (where the file is )
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?s=139cd426713fe2564fb4220fff589e9b&act=ST&f=18&t=1819&st=0&#entry11310 [odforce.net]

I have fallen in love with the blend object epically when using the orient Axes to make a look at and epically when it is wrapped up in a subnet with a fue other tricks. But how do i go about applying orientations to bones. I expect chops will be the answer, an as soon as i have it sorted I will make an otl and write up my findings at od winki.

this would help anybody wanting to apply an orientation to a bone in a different parent space.

So a little help ?
Robert Kelly
33 posts
In your scene, are the blends supposed to change orientation when moving the nulls around? I'm asking because here the blends dont rotate at all.

still by looking at the scene, it looks like yo'd want to do something similar to what is done with some motion capture data, where you have moving nulls and then want to constrain another hierarchy (a skeleton) to them. I think there was something about this in the CHOPs pdf. Hope it helps
237 posts
Well I have many ways of setting up constraints and most include blend objects. Sevrel blend object with several nulls in a subnet can create a very useful tool. So my question is simply how do you apply the orientation one object to an other. But more specifically to a bone in a chain and not just the first bone.

I believe chops are the answer but i am having trouble finding what i need to do and it shouldn?ft be a big ask.

Maybe I should have animated the nulls to make it perfectly clear, but it was meant to be a simple example of the problem at hand.
Robert Kelly
33 posts
I think it's me who didn't make it clear, sorry. What i meant is that even while the nulls move around, the blends don't change orientation.

Anyway to make the bone match another hierarchy's object maybe chops is overkill. I'd just clean the transforms of all the blends involved (just like the bones that read 0,0,0 rotation when you draw them) and reference their rotations on the bones via expressions. since you have cleaned all rotations the expressions are very simple like ch(“/obj/blend1/rx”)
237 posts
Well if you try that you will probably find the bones hierarchy will mess it up

For example say the bones and blends were connected when everything is pointing up (0,1,0) and then the blend_A has cause to be pointing in the direction of (1,0,0) and blend_B is still pointing up. So bone_A will follow Blend_A rotating 90 degrees to point in the positive X direction taking bone_B with it to point in the direction of (1,0,0) and because blend_B hasn?ft changed it doesn?ft make bone_B rotate -90 like it needs to keep pointing in the same direction as blend_B.

I think that pre-Transform chop is involved and I have been using the object chop but. This should be a no brainier. In any other software you would apply an orientation constraint to the bones in the chain and be done with it. I could squeeze a blend object between every bone if I have to but that is not what I would call a good way.
Robert Kelly
  • Quick Links