Particle Question

3598   5   0
405 posts
Hey All,

How would you rotate the copied geometry of a particle to the terrian that is your collision object? Also how do you grab the velocity of the particle for the copied geometry?

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
412 posts
hey nate,

particles always move/point towards the “z direction” of the particle origin.. ( to see this, go in to display properties and it's the third button on the bottom row of the first tab; also can scale up normals in last tab to see better).. so your copied geometry will always be moving/facing the side that is pointing in the z-plane before copied.. if you need to rotate that, than throw a transform before the copy sop. if you want to actually change the direction of the particle origin in pops, use the lookat pop to rotate that axis (once again, is much better when the particle origin axis is turned on in display options)..

as far as getting the velocity, you need to copy the attributes coming in from the popnet as well.. in the last tab (attribute) of the copy sop, there is a check box.. check that off and you now have the v variable to use. you can also always use the trail sop to compute the velocity of an object as well.. or even use the slope chop as well..

hth,
dave
Dave Quirus
405 posts
Hey Deecue,

I tried turning on the particle origin but nothing showed up and I am not sure why. I did turn on the one you said. Matter of a fact I tried them all so there is no way I could miss it. lol Are you at SCAD? I was looking at their masters program in visual effects. I like the course descriptions for the MFA 90 hours one. My only concern is that there really isn't much work on job possibilities in GA and I would need to work while I went to school.

I am having trouble with the Attractor POP. I want to do a radial type attration like the SOP POP Attractor but I don't know how to do it with the Attractor POP. I am thinking of using Rigid Bodies too.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
405 posts
Hey,

Rigid Bodies Dynamics are working great. I like your lookat POP suggestion that is defantly working but I still can not get that display for the Particles to come up to figure out how I need to orient them.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
412 posts
hey nate,

you might not be able to see the axis because they are so tiny.. if you have that “particle origin” button turned on, they should be there at the tip of each particle.. try going in to the misc tab and bump up the “scale normal” slider till you see it..

for the attractor look you want.. two things can be done..

1. append a point sop to your attractor geometry..in the ‘force’ tab, add a radial force and bump up your slider… point your attractor pop to the point sop..

2. try using a combination of metaballs and the force sop and point your attractor towards the the force sop. there is a radial force slider as well as some other nice ones (vortex and spiral)..

as for scad.. yea, im actually about to graduate from there in a couple weeks.. rather than me go in to it on here, if you wanna email me (dquiru20@student.scad.edu) or send me a private message, i would be more than happy to tell you my thoughts on it (positive and negative) :wink: …

hth,
dave
Dave Quirus
405 posts
Hey Guys,

Yup that was it. That was what was causing the problem. I turned the scale up to like 100 and then I could see it. Thank you thank you. They are aligned now.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler
  • Quick Links