Bridging?

8621   7   3
527 posts
Bridging, connecting, sewing, ……..whatever you want to call it. Is there a way to do this with facing polygons in houdini?

http://www.m2estudios.com/images/PolySew/ExternalBridging.gif [m2estudios.com]

ps. lofting and skinning didnt seem work……
soho vfx
113 posts
yep !

You can use for example, PolyLoft or PolyKnit SOPs

—-
Julien
527 posts
Take 2 boxes and put them side by side………

Now how do you connect the 2 facing polygons without deleting them and manually Knitting the boxes togethertogether? Because im just not getting results that are useful. If I get something its usually a mess. I must be doing it wrong. :cry:
soho vfx
170 posts
“PolyExtrude” the four edges of one box towards the other box.
“Merge” both boxes and than “Fuse” them.
The Things I Do For Love!
527 posts
Nice try but no cigar…

That doesnt work either because it leaves the facing polygons inside and requires deletion. Further more this is only easy when you have 2 identical boxes lined up side by side. If one of them was push down diagonally and rotated a bit this would become a mess. :wink:
soho vfx
Staff
181 posts
Hi Warren!

One quick fix…Copy the facing polygons, polyknit them, delete the copies and merge the
polyknited shape to your original boxes.
Cheers!
silvina
527 posts
Thats what I did……..but thats not bridging!

It should be as simple as selecting the 2 polygons and clicking bridge. It is common tool that is used for volume/box modeling.

http://www.softimage.com/Community/Xsi/Events/nab2001/media/video/CREATE/Polygonals_Tools_B.html [softimage.com]

(sorry its quicktime….)
soho vfx
1192 posts
You can select the two polygons and append a Skin SOP. Maybe you'll need to use a Primitive SOP before, with the Face/Hull-> Vertex->shift option, to shift the vertices on one poly, in order to avoid twisted skinning.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
  • Quick Links