Houdini on HP-UX ?

3236   3   0
21 posts
Hi,

I've obviously noticed from the support specifications for Houdini that one operating system that isn't currently supported is HP-UX. I was wondering if there were any plans in the future to change this or whether there was some sort of manually workaround in order to get houdini working with this type of OS.

The reason is that at work we've got several HP Netservers running HP-UX11i that aren't doing much and I wanted to take advantage of their faster CPU power for rendering.

Just wondering if it was a total non-starter.

Cheers
Starkhorn
1631 posts
Hi,

I don't think HP-UX will be supported in the future, if at all, IMHO. There isn't enough demand to justify it.

Cheers!
steven
21 posts
How about say a HP server like a N4000 or a A500 server running PA-RISC Linux ?

Basically my plan was to use these powerful servers just to do the rendering, i.e. I do the scene on my pc as normal, ftp the hpnic over to the server and use the mantra command tools to render it to disk. Is sort of operation blocked in the apprentice edition as I know network distributed rendering isn't possible with the apprentice edition.

Something I just realised….. I assume that even for doing this, the HP server's would still require a suitable graphics card ? Ooops.

Would houdini support me telnet to the server from my laptop (which has a graphics card), exporting the DISPLAY to my laptop and then lauching houdini ? Basically, Houdini is installed on the powerful server but the output display of the server is being re-directed to a PC or workstation with the appropraite graphics card ?

Cheers
Starkhorn
7714 posts
You can't do that as the CPU is not supported. The requirements are OS *and* CPU.
  • Quick Links