Does houdini run faster in mac or window?

7707   13   4
56 posts
It might be a stupid question, but I have a macbook pro, and have window for bootcamp.
I wonder which one houdini would run faster…
or is it same..?

and for now,

I have 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7 , 8G ram..

will upgrading 8G ram to 16g make much difference for running/rendering houdini?

Thank you
299 posts
Install Linux instead. That's where it runs the best.
Drive, monkey, drive!
56 posts
Thank you
678 posts
We had some problems in opening big scenes on Ubuntu, while the same scene was not a problem for Windows 7 or OpenSuse.
But something more surprising was that OpenGL worked better on Windows 7 than on any Linux distro. You wouldn't see difference when you have all effects turned off, but as soon as you pumped everything on, in the same scene, when you where doing 180-rotation in viewport, you could only see three frames from this rotation on Linux (begin, 90 degrees later and 180 degrees later) while on Windows it rotated smoothly. So it depends.

Test it and see what suits you the best.
7708 posts
mantragora
You wouldn't see difference when you have all effects turned off, but as soon as you pumped everything on, in the same scene, when you where doing 180-rotation in viewport, you could only see three frames from this rotation on Linux (begin, 90 degrees later and 180 degrees later) while on Windows it rotated smoothly. So it depends.

This almost sounds like you didn't install the native hardware accelerated video driver for Linux.
678 posts
edward
This almost sounds like you didn't install the native hardware accelerated video driver for Linux.

Sadly this is not true . Tested many driver versions and Windows perfomance was always much better. This may vary on different graphic cards, we heavn't tested Quadros just Geforce cards.
1391 posts
i just test on linux and windows.

in linux is more fasten than windows
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
54 posts
Which linux distribution you could reccomend?

Or its equaly fast/stable on any distr?

Thanks in advance!
1391 posts
i just work on ubuntu & i dont have any information about other linux version !

but i thing work on ubuntu is so easy from other.

i create a scene that include pyroFX and render by mantra and take below
result and i dont know why difference is so big !?

render time in windows 7 x64 : 4:30

render time in ubuntu 10.04 x64 : 2:59

CPU : i7 960
RAM : 12 GB
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
383 posts
toms993

Thanks in advance!

For me gentoo works really fine. You may have to spend some time to get the system running, but afterwards you get the best performance ..
If you are not into fiddeling around with internals then maybe gentoo will be the best choice ..
www.woogieworks.at
383 posts
toms993

Thanks in advance!

For me gentoo works really fine. You may have to spend some time to get the system running, but afterwards you get the best performance ..
If you are not into fiddeling around with internals then maybe gentoo will be the best choice ..
www.woogieworks.at
279 posts
Linux Mint is good distro for Houdini and easy to setup.
299 posts
My vote is on Linux Mint as well.
Drive, monkey, drive!
17 posts
mantragora
We had some problems in opening big scenes on Ubuntu, while the same scene was not a problem for Windows 7 or OpenSuse.
But something more surprising was that OpenGL worked better on Windows 7 than on any Linux distro. You wouldn't see difference when you have all effects turned off, but as soon as you pumped everything on, in the same scene, when you where doing 180-rotation in viewport, you could only see three frames from this rotation on Linux (begin, 90 degrees later and 180 degrees later) while on Windows it rotated smoothly. So it depends.

Test it and see what suits you the best.
try to check at two places;

libGL.so* should point to the native driver (not the open source one), and another is libglx.so*. These are usually two files that could affect X11 windowing and OpenGL greatly. If libGL* is not written over during any xorg update, then check on the other one.

Also you can try to run glxgears from command line to check if your X11 is using the right glx module.
  • Quick Links