switching shaders

5790   6   2
63 posts
My question is about switching shaders. I want an object to have three different shaders. For example, for frames 1-100 I want it to have a blue shader and for frames 101-200 I want it to have a green shader, then finally for frames 201-300 I want it to have a red shader. Now all three shaders must be seperate shaders (eventually they will be replaced with a clay shader, jelly shader, and another, different clay shader. I would like to figure out the concept first, of course).

The other thing is when one shader switches to the other, I want them to have a 30 frame blending period, so that they transition smoothly from one shader to the next. Now I have played with the switch SHOP, but that acts merely as a light switch, which will not give you a smooth transition between different shaders, or does it?

Any ideas of how to do such a thing?

-Jon
2199 posts
well, you can either combine all three shaders into one and blend between them there, or why not just render the three version and blend between them in post.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
7713 posts
I think you can also animate a Switch SHOP.
63 posts
Simon-

How would you recommend "combine all three shaders into one and blend between them there"? Sorry, but I haven't really played around with the SHOP editor in too much detail.

Edward-

I tried that, but the sliders on the Switch SHOP use whole numbers only, no numbers with decimals. Which makes the Switch SHOP a light switch.

-Jon
7713 posts
Sorry, I didn't read your whole post. … If you want to do it in shaders, Mike Cronin has a great thread with examples here:
http://www.sidefx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2185 [sidefx.com]
330 posts
vrljc
Which makes the Switch SHOP a light switch.

not really, keep plugging the inputs in and it will add more input fields. you can have many inputs
63 posts
edward-

Very good! That thread answers all of my Q's!

-jon
  • Quick Links