Basic rigging question, how to constraint "joints"

3777   4   3
55 posts
Hello All,

Got a question on basic rigging. I am trying to create a expanding fence like in the image I have attached.

Now, I have a couple bones laying out as zigzag at the moment but I can't constraint the bones so either tips (joints) would stay the same Y height nor within certain Y value when dragging the goal_null to simulate the fence expansion. I have playing around with look up, but I guess that's not what I really need.

Any suggestion would be great! Thanks in advance, guys!

Sincerely,

David

Attachments:
bone_constraint_david.hipnc (133.5 KB)
expanding fence.jpg (13.9 KB)

190 posts
Have a look at the file i made for you. I just made a controller null node that drives the rotation of all the bones. They are all connected so they all have the exact same rotation which makes it rather easy.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:
expanding_fence.hip (331.3 KB)

55 posts
Thanks, RudiNieuwenhuis!

Your reply and file helped me to understand this a lot! I am inspired and am going for further experiment and learning on mechanical rigging. Thanks again!

Sincerely,

David
55 posts
Hi, RudiNieuwenhuis and All

I have a further question following up to your demo. Basically, I have a main big bone chain and a sub small bone chain. I made the small chain to be a children of the big chain and want to make them work kind of in conjunction with each other.

What I am trying to do is to have the root of the small chain to be on the start bone of the big chain as well as the end bone null of the small chain to be on the end bone of the big chain….or as what I have in the attached file. Sorry for the confusion…

I have tried different digits and I still can't make anywhere near to precise. Could you suggest me any way you would do to achieve this? Thanks!

Sincerely,

David

Edit I eventually build an Inverse Kinematics chain instead as in the re-uploaded file. Please still let me know if you guys have more efficient and precise ways, thanks!

Attachments:
expanding_fence_question2.hipnc (241.8 KB)

483 posts
maybe helpy.
Fence part rotation based on asin function.
ok, only works in a default direction in this example, but should do the trick.
Rotation, Transformation, … must be done via the GEO parent.

Attachments:
fence_try.jpg (271.8 KB)
fence_calculated.hip (94.9 KB)

English is not my native language, sorry in advance for any misunderstanding :-)
  • Quick Links