Mantra PBR render help

3129   2   1
10 posts
Hi everyone,

I have setup a small interior scene and I'm having problems getting a clean render with mantra PBR. The noise level is too damn high.
I've tried cranking up the pixel samples to 16x16 and shading quality multiplier to 3, the only difference it made was the extreme render time. It took me about an hour just to render 1 frame.
Can I please get your advice on how to get a clean render?

Thanks,
Boon

Attachments:
Interior.rar (289.0 KB)
Interior.jpg (722.2 KB)

8532 posts
exactly as you said Noise Level is too high, so the best thing you can do is to set all those crazy values back down (Shading Quality to 1, Area Light Sampling Quality to 1, Pixel Samples to a value which gives you nice edge antialiasing)

and lower the actual Noise Level parameter on Mantra/Sampling Tab somewhere around 0.01 to start with
you may increase Max Ray Samples if necessary
then you can play with other settings to acheive best balance for your scene
Every parameter has tooltip, which may give you an idea about what it does

you may also have a look at linear workflow and use it in your scene (it involves using linear textures and viewing your output with gamma ~2.2), then you may set color space for sampling to Gamma 2.2 as well (Mantra/Shading Tab)

also using portal geometry for your window holes with environment light instead of area lights may increase efficient sampling in your scene

I recommend you to watch this:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1412&Itemid=344 [sidefx.com]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
10 posts
Noted, I will look into that.
Thank you for your time Tom, greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Boon
  • Quick Links