USABILITY: opengl view of material override texture maps

6611   12   2
120 posts
Take for instance the opengl diffuse texture map: it seems that only one map can be previewed per material. When I'm overriding that texture map with a material sop, I can't preview the multiple textures that would be rendered.

The workaround I've been using is creating a decal material for every texture map, and a new geometry object for each material, etc, and routing that original geometry into those additional geometry containers, just to preview the situation. If I could override the opengl texture map, it would make for a much smoother workflow.
Staff
5156 posts
This is on the todo list for the viewports.
84 posts
I second this one!
On my last two projects I had to override either textures or some parameters per instance on the shaders at fist I tried overriding the openGL ones as well to have the same changes on the viewport.. but wasn't able.. I thought I was doing something wrong .

I was lucky though cause in my case the scenes weren't too render heavy so I used the render preview at all times.. but it is nice to see that its on the ToDo list

Keep up the excellent work guys!!
387 posts
+1
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
190 posts
+1
333 posts
+1
8 posts
I hate to ask this as this thread is so old, but I'm hitting the same issue. Has this been resolved yet? Trying to put together a digital asset, but this is preventing it working properly and I don't know if it's just me missing something.

Oh, actally, I'll try subnetting before making the digital asset. It'll be a bit messy if I need to break things up, but for just one material across the whole surface it shouldn't be too bad, and save having to assign the embedded material by hand.

Cheers,

Alan.
Staff
5156 posts
You picked a good time to revive this thread. Material overrides as added by the Material SOP are now supported in Houdini 16.
8 posts
twod
You picked a good time to revive this thread. Material overrides as added by the Material SOP are now supported in Houdini 16.

That's great news, thanks. How do I use this feature? (It is in Houdini 16, that I am not having it happen).

Cheers,

Alan.
41 posts
skyphyr
twod

That's great news, thanks. How do I use this feature? (It is in Houdini 16, that I am not having it happen).

Cheers,

Alan.

The documentation for it is here http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/shade/opengl [sidefx.com] It looks like part of the help is missing since the link for “complete list of GL tags” is 404.
8 posts
Hi Robot,

I'd read that part and the tagging (though the images often lacked context for someone new to know where to find the interface shown), but even going from what's there, I'm using standard shaders; it says
The materials shipping with Houdini are set up to work with the viewport GLSL shaders.

So, I'm not sure what more I'd need to do beyond using shipping shaders and assigning them via a material SOP.

Pointers would be awesome

Cheers,

Alan.
Staff
5156 posts
Here's a simple example using 2 Material SOPs and the principled shader.

Not sure why that link is broken but the GL tags can be found at
[server:port]/props/material
in the help.
Edited by malexander - March 8, 2017 08:40:03

Attachments:
mat_override.hip (178.1 KB)

8 posts
Sorry for the huge delay, I finally got back to this. So I found the issue. I only had point, not vertex normals (had used them for displacement and was using constant shaders so had no real need for anything more). Only once vertex normals are applied does opengl shading kick in (despite it being constant and normals being irrelevant).

So there's what was going on - the assignment etc itself was correct. Thanks again for the help in resolving this one.

Cheers,

Alan.
  • Quick Links