Bake procedural texture to UVs

16524   6   2
183 posts
So I'm working with procedural textures that I want to export them as uv color maps so that I can view them in another program. Any one know how to bake them out to UVs? I just haven't had any luck figuring this out by myself or searching it online…

Thanks in advance!
16 posts
You can render your object in UV space, there is a parameter in the Mantra Node, “UV Render Object” (in Properties>Render). Just specify the name of the object you want.
1 posts
Does the texture baker asset at Orbolt.com help:

http://www.orbolt.com/asset/SideFX::texturebaker [orbolt.com]
183 posts
Hey thanks for the quick replies. So I played around with the mantra UV space render and while it works for objects created in Houdini it seems to have problems with imported objs even if I erase their old uvs and create new ones. Not sure why this happens. Any ideas. Haven't tried the orbolt method yet.
1799 posts
Hey 90, are the UVs you are trying to bake to a point attribute or a vertex attribute? That may not make a difference but just wanted to see if perhaps that may be the issue.

a few other things to check:

- make sure your uv attribute is named correctly in the mantra node (by default it uses uv, but the name may be something else)

- are your UVs in the 0 to 1 space?

what error do you get when using your imported meshes? does it just render black?
-G
16 posts
grayOlorin
Hey 90, are the UVs you are trying to bake to a point attribute or a vertex attribute?

+1
The uv attributes must be vertex attributes, otherwise it doesn't work in uv space rendering (attribute promote to convert from one class to another).
183 posts
Thanks for your help guys. After some playing around I found out that it was unable to do a UV render while ray tracing. What I did to get around this is turn everything I wasn't rendering the UVs for invisible. I also found you need to turn off all gaussian filters both during render and when reimporting the texture to avoid getting small black lines running over the seams of the new UV texture. Have to say that this is an awesome feature that allows you to export textures into programs like mudbox where they can then be converted into ptex or just be used as reference for further texture painting. Cool stuff!
  • Quick Links