Camera scaling issue, not rendering right.

9541   10   1
47 posts
Hello.

I've had this issue for a decent amount of time now. When I import my camera from PFMatchit I like to scale the camera up using the null, or group rather. When I render pyro FX it looks a lot dimmer and a lot less saturated, basically really different. If you want recreate this problem you can do that by created a camera, render a any pyro FX, see how it looks normal. Then for the 2nd render (the problem)

Create a null make it the parent of the camera

Scale the null up. The camera obviously moves father away from the pyro FX.

Translate the null to get the camera to the same position (or close) as the first render.

Render. And you will see what I'm talking about. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Thanks.
Staff
3455 posts
why are you scaling the camera?
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
47 posts
Because I need the whole camera movement that I tracked and got out of PFMatchit to fit a bigger scene. I'm either going to shrink or scale it up.
Staff
181 posts
Don't scale cameras in Houdini. It is a Very Bad Thing.
49 posts
A trick around this situation is to constrain (pin, rivet, whatever) a new render camera to the position of the scaled camera.

Indeed scaled cameras screw up almost every 3D package that I've used.
47 posts
Is there away to only scale the position, rotation of the camera?

Pinkwerks, can you please walk me through this briefly I'm not 100 percent sure what you mean.

Thanks
49 posts
Try attached, 2 methods.

The first uses fetch. Not sure if it still will inherit the camera scale?

Second is camera that uses rivet, but requires you to add some sop's inside cam scaled.

If these don't work, you may have to write some ugly expression in the T & R attributes. Someone with more expression function knowledge would have to help you there.

Check this if it comes to that:
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/15262-how-to-get-world-coordinates-at-the-geometry-level/ [forums.odforce.net]

Attachments:
constrain_camera.hip (122.6 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
also look into the Blend Object
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
47 posts
Hey thanks a lot for the reply, I'm going to check these options out when I have some time tomorrow.
47 posts
Hey Pinkwerks, thanks a lot, the Fetched didn't solve it, but the rivet was flawless. Thanks a ton.
35 posts
Perfect way is use fetch then blend and uncheck scale.
  • Quick Links