Jaggy fracture edges

9504   9   3
7 posts
Hi all,
I have a new problem with voronoi fracture. I want to achieve the jaggy lines of the fracture, like the image below. The method i came up with is to use PointSOP to randomize the $TY and $TZ values of the points. But the problem is that now I have overlapping points as in the image, and it makes the render look bad. Any suggestion to create a better jaggy fracture
Thanks

Attachments:
Jaggy fracture_random pointSOP.jpg (144.3 KB)

696 posts
It's hard to say what is causing the problem in your setup, but I've slapped something quick together as a proof of concept and it seems to work fine.

Check the attachment.

Cheers

Attachments:
jaggy_fracture_01.hip (126.0 KB)

Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
56 posts
rafaels
It's hard to say what is causing the problem in your setup, but I've slapped something quick together as a proof of concept and it seems to work fine.

Check the attachment.

Cheers

Nice.But how to achieve this for a iiregular/non-plannar object,say a vase.Any ideas?Thanks.
192 posts
you can use the same technique as this:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=27192 [sidefx.com]

Attachments:
noisy_voronoi.hip (459.4 KB)
noise.jpg (360.6 KB)

56 posts
brianBurke
you can use the same technique as this:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=27192 [sidefx.com]

Great,brainBurke,I will give it a go.Thanks a lot.
84 posts
easy and clever setup.. a few months ago I was wondering how to do this and never though to storing the noise value to revert it later!

thanks Brian really helped a lot
84 posts
I was playing around the Brian's setup and its really beautiful!

But since he extrudes the surface of the bowl after the voronoi cracking its easy to control the inner faces created, so i began wondering how to apply the same approach to already modeled objects (where we can't extrude the surface later) or closed objects. And this is the setup I came up with.

The principle behind it is the same: noise it/break it/de-noise it..
Without the extrusion and letting the voronoi node create the inner faces for us (where we can apply noise easily too) we have the problem that when running the de-noise VOP those new points are not moved. To deal with that I just applied an attribute transfer copying the deformed value from the nearest points to the new faces.

I works really wel with closed meshes!
As you can see in the pic when applying it to the teapot I had some inner surface coming out in some places, but the problem is that the teapot wasnt really completely closed but 3 diferent meshes so it should be easily fixed.

Really thanks for this setup… I learned something new

I'm attaching my setup in case anyone wants to see it.

By the way..

On Brian's setup for the voronoi points after the isooffset he is using a volume VOP to make some adjustments to the volume… but to be honest.. I have no idea what it is for…. I have not much experience with volumes so If anyone could give me a brief explanation what is it for I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Attachments:
noisyVoronoiSolids.jpg (58.0 KB)
noisy_voronoi_forSolids.hip (178.1 KB)

192 posts
robonilla
I'm attaching my setup in case anyone wants to see it.

By the way..

On Brian's setup for the voronoi points after the isooffset he is using a volume VOP to make some adjustments to the volume… but to be honest.. I have no idea what it is for…. I have not much experience with volumes so If anyone could give me a brief explanation what is it for I would appreciate it.

Thanks

nice mod on the setup. seems rad.

the volume vop just multiplies the density of the volume by some noise. this makes the voronoi seed points have different densities and therefore different sized chunks in the fracture. a more sophisticated way to make different sized chunks might involve selecting some of the fracture pieces and refracturing them to add a whole other ‘octave’ of detail.
43 posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm new to Houdini, and this is an effect I would like to achieve.

After opening the HIP files attached, I can see the outcome of the effect, but I am unable to actually see it in action when I press play.
84 posts
hi josh,

it's because this isn't an animated effect, the hips provided here are to show how to create the pre-fractured geometry with jaggy edges procedurally so you then animate it however you want later.
  • Quick Links