depth of field and StereoCamera

2456   6   0
54 posts
hello everyone
when I'm using the same parameters for focus distance and Fstop on a regular camera and a stereo camera , same position and rotations , I got totally different results when rendering with Dof.
the stereo camera is “super blurred”.
I'm using 12.1.77 on linux ubuntu.

luc
390 posts
ive been getting the same result in 1.125
54 posts
hum this is embarrassing …
I'm using a ZPS value and interaxial distance to create the stereo effect.
is it possible to recreate the exact same view with two standart camera ?
is there another workaround ?
thanks .
luc
Staff
1448 posts
I tracked it down to a bug in the ‘focalunits’ parameter on the L/R sub-cameras. These parameters were meant to channel-reference the top level parameter, but ended up as a plain string, chs(“../stereo_camera/focalunits”). This is what SOHO sees in IFDframe.py and it passes this string to houdiniUnitLength() function which defaults unknown units to meters, and you can bet the string above is an unknown unit.

Since the original focal value of 50 is specified in mm and not meters, SOHO outputs to the .ifd file a focal length that is 1000x larger larger than it should be. You can compare the .ifd from a regular camera and a stereo camera. The regular cam will have ray_property camera focal 5.0 while the stereo will have 5000 (presumably in cm).

I'll try to fix the shipped stereo cam rig, but meanwhile you can work around by copying that HDA and fixing the channel reference in the sub-cameras in the copied HDA. Or you may be able to post-process the .ifd files to fix the focal value.
Staff
1448 posts
Should be fixed in H12.1.148
390 posts
thank you
54 posts
rafal
Should be fixed in H12.1.148
thanks a lot !
  • Quick Links