scatterSOP 12.5 Vs 12.1

2961   3   2
509 posts
heya!

anybody found a way to have the same result from the two different version of scatter?

I just realized my scene generates totally different result because of the scatterSOP giving me different points in the two versions.

thanks!
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
509 posts
scrap that … scatter gives me same result.. for some reason a lot of other things change so I was feeding different seeds to them …

I need further investigation

sorry!!
JcN
509 posts
FOUND IT:

the 12.1 scatterSOP seed is integer while 12.5 is float and my OTL was using a float number for the seed and was being rounded in the 12.1 Houdini session.

cheers!
JcN
1743 posts
I should probably note anyway, just for future reference, that *newly-placed* Scatter SOP nodes in 12.5 may produce different results than in 12.1, because in order to 1) support non-convex polygons, and 2) generate uniformly-distributed points on polygons other than triangles and parallelograms, the default behaviour of newly-placed Scatter SOP nodes is to triangulate any polygons first.

To disable this, uncheck “Divide Non-Convex Polygons”. Maybe “Triangulate All Polygons” would have been a better name for it.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links