H12.5 and customized Surface model

3106   3   2
295 posts
I just installed 12.5.316.22, and opened a hip file previously edited with 12.1.X. I have a material that I customized, a Mantra Surface Material, but it renders plain white and the material node has the red lines on the icon indicating an error. If I go into the network I see the error is on the surfaceModel node, and there are 6-7 nodes inside that that are flagged in error too. Looking at these nodes I can tell that some of them seem to have incorrect output types, and they were not the ones that I customized. Any idea what happened? Is there some way to fix it, or will I need to rebuild the shader from scratch?

Attachments:
shader-prob.jpg (163.8 KB)

Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
295 posts
I've submitted this as a bug. I really hope there's some sort of work around short of rebuilding every shader in all my scene files.
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
190 posts
Well, if you didn't change anything in the surfaceModel itself it's easy to just make it match the current definition. (right click)

I think you could even make a python script for this that does this for all the materials in your shop, something like:

myNode = hou.node('/shop')
for i in myNode.children():
print i
i('surfaceModel').matchCurrentDefinition()

But this generates errors because i'm sure i'm not referencing the surfaceModel correctly.
I could use some help on this.
14 posts
my shaders also broke.
in my case, for surfaceModel, refr_enable and refr_model
error: “input data type does not match”

also, i am not offered the choice to update or match current def.
that is a contextually added bit, and it looks like this node doesn't apply.

so,
my peers they just do not bother to open a scene created in older hou.versions. they always use the matching application version.

i dropped a new surfaceModel and moved connections over to the new guy.

this broke the opengl bits.

i suspect i must now update the parameter interface to accomodate the new surfacemodel.

ugh. lol.
:shock:
  • Quick Links