Rigid bodies rain - How to?

2743   4   1
1 posts
Hello everyone. I was watching this movie and i was thinking on how could i replicate such effect. I know i can't position each coin individually, and trying to simulate this as individual rigid bodies would take forever. How, and in which software can i achieve this kind of results? Any specific techniques? I think the main goal would be to have a particle emmiter that could copy geometry, fill that with proxy low-res geometry for collision detection and a differente geometry for visualization. Can i get it without having to script anything? I'm kind of noob with this… Thanks a lot.

Inspiration video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5u8e5v15Wo [youtube.com]

Cheers.
304 posts
I think the simplest way would be to create points from the object volume (either with “volumes from Points” or with the ISO Offset/scatter combination), and then use those points as a basis for an RBD Point Object where you instance the coins.

It is actually a pretty simple effect and bullet should sim that number of coins quite painlessly.
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
3 posts
Oh. Thank you so much, it was indeed very easy to set up… All I had to do was to scatter my target object and voila.. Can't believe i've been trying to do this in maya for the past 4 days, with very tedious work, expressions, and no believable results, then i come to houdini, and voila, 15 min work and job done. thank you so much.

Oh by the way. Scatter creates points along the surface of the object, how could i generate points INSIDE the mesh, or, in other words, fill the object with points? Thank you very much…
190 posts
There is a “points from Volume” sop that you could use.
3 posts
There is a “points from Volume” sop that you could use.

Thank so much.. It worked great, posting here can really be more helpfull than cgtalk… i find it hard for they to answer me there about anything -.- …. I really expect to become really good at houdini some day…
  • Quick Links