Houdini Particle Data Export - Stream Or File

3380   2   1
10 posts
Hello folks - Could you please give me some advice or point me to an online resource for reading about how Houdini particle data can be exported (or synched)?

I'm probably phrasing this question wrong so here is what I am looking to do:

Have Houdini export to Maya (and C4D later) particle data. Looking at 2 methods:

1. (preffered if possible) Via Python sock transfer - realtime.

2. Via written out file (xml or whatever it may be)

Is this even possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?

If yes, kindly point me out to the documentation in Houdini that addresses this or any info that you have on it would me very appreciated.

You can see in the link below the dude is doing it via Python to sync geometry… what I need to do is the same BUT for particles etc…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Gr1APD1QA [youtube.com]

Thank You Very Much

PS: I've tried the RealFlow plugin but it doesn't work properly when used as a bridge between Houdini & Maya (or C4D)
Staff
4159 posts
Yeah, you can certainly write your own with Python or the HDK.

You might find the Partio project from Disney helpful (though I don't think Cinema 4D is part of it at the moment, but I'm sure they'd welcome if it were added), as it lets you get particles between Houdini, Maya Renderman.
I'm o.d.d.
10 posts
goldleaf
Yeah, you can certainly write your own with Python or the HDK.

You might find the Partio project from Disney helpful (though I don't think Cinema 4D is part of it at the moment, but I'm sure they'd welcome if it were added), as it lets you get particles between Houdini, Maya Renderman.

Thank you for the headsup on PartIo. Doesn't Renderman use the rib format? I might be off-base here but isn't that usable for particles.

I had actually thought of adding Renderman to my lineup but it seems too expensive. It would be however justified if I can get everything under one roof render-wise. Do you have any experience?
  • Quick Links