Fracture Problem

4467   2   1
2 posts
Hello,

Recently, I decided to learn dynamics in Houdini.
The problem is:
When I use Voronoi fracture with a couple of points from a Scatter SOP, the areas are not fractured as I hoped they would.
In the attached picture, you can see that I am trying to divide the building into a couple (3) sections; however, the balconies
are not fractured with the proper piece of the building :cry: . (like the green piece of the building does not have only green balconies,
but has balconies with different colors)
Hope this makes sense… Am I missing something basic?

Also, when I create output groups, I don't get 3 or so pieces, but get a few hundred. The whole point of this was to have one piece of the building dynamic, and the other static.
Hope someone can help this newbie out. Thanks!

[postimg.org]
245 posts
It looks like the model of the building allready has many pieces which makes it kinda hard to fracture the surface the way you want.

You want to fracture the building in three pieces which is really hard the way it is right now due to that it allready contains more than 50 pieces for example.

One way to fracture it into exactly three pieces is to convert the building to VDB mesh with very low voxel size and then convert it back to poly's. It should now be one solid and then the fracturing should be fine..
2 posts
johnnycore
It looks like the model of the building allready has many pieces which makes it kinda hard to fracture the surface the way you want.

You want to fracture the building in three pieces which is really hard the way it is right now due to that it already contains more than 50 pieces for example.

One way to fracture it into exactly three pieces is to convert the building to VDB mesh with very low voxel size and then convert it back to poly's. It should now be one solid and then the fracturing should be fine..

Thanks so much for clearing some things up. I am just a beginner in Houdini; could you please tell me which nodes to add on geometry level with winch settings? I started looking a around but cannot find anything.
Thanks!!
  • Quick Links