Help: Install Houdini Apprentice on Mandrake 9 How?

8915   7   2
11 posts
OK how do i install on Mandrake 9. I'm not experienced with linux and have searched some other post here about this but can't follow them. If i type in houdini.install at the prompt i get an error at line 712 i think.

I'm just not getting anywhere with this. please help
639 posts
sh houdini.install ?
344 posts
You need to type ./houdini.install The ./tells linux to run it from the current directory because it isn't in your path.
11 posts
nope that didn't work.

I have already change to the directory where i have extracted the houdini files. I have got the liecense thing working i think but i keep getting the error on line 712 of the ‘houdini.install’. file. Something about not finding exec???

I have tried all evening to get this installed. but still not getting anywhere. Any other ideas about how to get this working?
3 posts
Try this, I got it to work on Mandrake 9 before but I use RedHat 8 now.

First make sure XTERM is installed it is included on the Mandrake CD's.

Then you need to go into the /Linux7 directory where the files are extracted then type su to become root then type the following.

chmod +x houdini.install
chmod +x houdini.hgz
chmod +x sesinetd.install
chmod +x bin/*

when that is done you should be able to type “./houdini.instal”l if that does not work start a “xterm” from the run command “alt-f2” and become root and do the same as above

Hope this works
11 posts
Thanks zoon64 i'm going to try installing Red Hat myself and see how that goes.
1 posts
Hi easy,

I've posted a long answer for you on the 3D Buzz “Houdini Course” forum. It may be telling you more than you want to know :shock:.
But it's there if you have a spare hour or two.. Looks like you've ditched Mandrake for Red Hat anyway.

Also, if anyone is interested, Houdini runs just fine under Slackware 8.1. I've posted some info under the Linux section at
Odforce - http://odforce.net [odforce.net] if anyone is having any trouble with Houdini on Slackware.

-Martin
11 posts
Thanks I've just managed to get it working on Red hat. It is difficult to get started on Linux.

Thanks for the long reply! i excepted your answer anyway
  • Quick Links