how to start RBD as sleeping(passive) object?

14752   10   1
102 posts
Hello every one
I am wonder how to start RBD as a passive object and turn to active when it collided.
I tried turn off “create active objects”, but it will not be active even got collide.
and “RBD auto freeze dop” is not what I want, too.

can someone give me a idea, please.

thank you!
Edited by - Nov. 12, 2013 10:04:33
1391 posts
I think you should use RBD Solver and Static Solver with together to do this (or maybe we have better solution , i don't know)

check attached file and read Notes that i wrote on it.

In this sample a passive Box object change to Active object when an sphere hit to it .

Attachments:
JK_RBD_Static_Solver.hip (277.9 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
102 posts
Hi Joker, thank your file! but I still has a problem need help.
I changed your network because I want to do RBD Fracture object. every thing is right but the“JK_RBD_Static_Solver” is not. it can't get my point attribute correctly if I use a variable in expression:
point(“../../box_object1/JK_Take_Collison/OUT_active1”,$OBJID-4,“active”,0)

if I use $OBJID it will don't work. what should I do?
thank you!

p.s.
upload wrong attach file so I deleted it. the new in below reply.
jk_rbd_static_solver_555
Edited by - Nov. 10, 2013 21:21:25
1391 posts
Can you attach your file or somethings like that my friend ?
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
102 posts
oops, I'm sorry I uplaod the wrong file.
re uploaded, please download it again.
thank you

in obj level can see piece become red when hit

Attachments:
jk_rbd_static_solver_555.hipnc (412.9 KB)

19 posts
Why dont you use gluenetwork to keep fractured objects togather, there is a tutorial on SideFX website, bullet dynamics. There is also very good Digital tutors lesson - Controlling Your Fractures in Houdini.
102 posts
Hi Kreahk, thank your advice. I like glue,too.
but I still wonder a way to make a sleeping object because I think some time will need.
94 posts
Do you mean passive object? If it's the case, you can use a “RBD keyframe Active” node to switch between active and passive state
102 posts
thank you Ioness!
yes I mean passive. but I don't know how to use “RBD kyeframe active” to active when it hit by something. I think in a fracture sim set key by hand isn't a good way…
after saw Joker's hip I notice that if turn off “Create Active Object” the RBD object can't recevie impact data. I guess this is why Joker said “should use RBD Solver and Static Solver with together”. so even “Active Value” can turn RBD to active, but I don't know how to get impact data from a "non-active object.
one of reason that I like passive more than glue is batter performance(if glue is not necessary). in 3dsMax do passive object is easy, so I hope can do same thing in H.

btw, Joker's hip gave me very much idea and I just thinking other way. may be I should delete the RBDpieces which has impact and born the same piece into fracture object dop. but I not finish yet.
94 posts
Here is an example showing how to use the RBD keyframe active. It's equal to using the tic when the object is created.

Attachments:
RBD_keyframe_active.hipnc (260.9 KB)

102 posts
thank you Ioness, cool idea!
OK, finally got the result what I want! it's still not a complete setting but can fix by hand. ( the problem is $PT is start from 0 but $OBJ is from 1, so I have +1 manually)
thanks guys. love you all!

Attachments:
jk_rbd_static_solver_600.hipnc (329.6 KB)

• Quick Links