Problem re-naming Edit Op

7150   7   0
63 posts
I am following a training vtm from 3dbuzz.com and ran into a problem. I have an edit Op and need to change it to springs. So, I right click the edit Op and select “Change Type” and then change it from edit to springs and accept. When I accepted the changes edit Op completely disappeared and there was no springs Op. I had to reconnect the springs Op between the boxes output and Lattice op's (input 3) that I have. Is there some kind of setting for this edit Op to just change and stay connected and all? I followed the vtm exactly to a “T”.

Also, I needed to collapse 3 operators into a subnet. I selected all 3 op's and right clicked and selected “collapse selected into subnet” and got a subnet Op. I then right clicked the subnet and selected “create type from” and named it and set Min and Max Inputs to 2 and accepted it. Well when I accepted this subnet Op, it also disappeared and I got the 3 original operators in the network editor window.

Now, I already updated Houdini to version 5.5.208 but it didn't help. Does it have something to do with setting variables again? I'm not very clear on variables (I'm new to Houdini and Win 2000 Pro).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
18 posts
Also, I needed to collapse 3 operators into a subnet. I selected all 3 op's and right clicked and selected “collapse selected into subnet” and got a subnet Op. I then right clicked the subnet and selected “create type from” and named it and set Min and Max Inputs to 2 and accepted it. Well when I accepted this subnet Op, it also disappeared and I got the 3 original operators in the network editor window.

I believe that you dropped down into your subnet, did you have the small connectors visable?
63 posts
The 3 Ops did have their connectors visible and they were still highlighted yellow (and one green). I was still in the SOP's level.

I just played the vtm again and when Buzz hit accept, his subnet Op stayed in the network editor and it flickered a bit and then their were the 2 input connector tabs (it was originally one) that was set when he did the “create type from”. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to set up a variable? I made one for my HOME directory. Do I need to set one for cHOME/Houdini5.5 also because I think that is where they are going?
63 posts
This problem is really bugging me. There has to be some kind of setting somewhere but I can't find it. I have a directory called cHOME/houdini5.5 where my desktops get backed up to and also my tutorial files go there so that works. When I right click an OP and scroll down to properties, it says that it gets saved to c$HOME/houdini5.5. So, shouldn't it stay in the network editor when I ammend the OP? I also set a variable for cHOME. Do I need to set any other variables? This is the only one I see in the list of variables.
I loaded Houdini into cHoudini5.5.208. Do I need to set a variable for this directory or any other?

Has disappearing OP's happened to anyone else?
7710 posts
Are you sure about that? It should say $HOME/houdini5.5, without c in front of it. From your Environment Variables tab, double-check that your HOME environment variable says cHOME.
63 posts
Sorry, that was my mistake. In Houdini it does say $HOME/houdini5.5 not cHOME/houdini5.5. In my Environment Variables tab it says CHOME. I'm just getting so fraggled about this SOP problem.
1631 posts
Hi there,
cyclinggimpe
I am following a training vtm from 3dbuzz.com and ran into a problem. I have an edit Op and need to change it to springs. So, I right click the edit Op and select “Change Type” and then change it from edit to springs and accept. When I accepted the changes edit Op completely disappeared and there was no springs Op. I had to reconnect the springs Op between the boxes output and Lattice op's (input 3) that I have. Is there some kind of setting for this edit Op to just change and stay connected and all? I followed the vtm exactly to a “T”.
I just tried changing the Edit OP to a Spring OP & it's working. The Edit OP is changed to a Spring OP with the connections intact.

Please backup the houdini5.5 directory in cHOME then delete the houdini5.5 directory. This is to clear out all your preferences/settings. Once done, please try the “Change Type” option again & let us know how it goes.

I hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
63 posts
Well, finally last night dante over at the Buzz forum figured out what was wrong. I had to set a variable for my ctemp directory. I had a space in my username and maybe this is causing problems. When I upgrade my computer and re-install my windows I won't put any spaces in my name.
  • Quick Links