Vector Fields to SOP

5720   5   0
126 posts
I'm rather used to Houdini but I rarely touched its DOP features. Upon fooling around I found the Vector Field Visualization DOP (which I believe is found inside Pyro DOP when you turn on Velocity in the Visualizations tab.

Now can anybody tell me if there is any way to get those visualizations strokes over to a SOP network for further workings? I think they look absolutely amazing.

I realize that one also can hack together ones own vector field generator, but it's rather tricky and mathy.. fantastic if there is anything like this already built in!

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-12-18 at 22.42.27.png (623.6 KB)

76 posts
When importing data from dops you can specify “Visualization” to pull it in
Staff
809 posts
Also look at the Volume Trail SOP, which lets you build them directly in SOPs.
126 posts
great! I got the Volume Trail SOP working.. fool proof.

It does however behave slightly different in comparisson to the Visualization in the DOP network. It seems to me that the strokes trace to volume field perpendicular to the axis it traces in the DOP network.

I'm also curious if you could post a example of how to properly specify “Visualization” in the import DOP? I'm unable to figure it out.

Thanks alot
8538 posts
smuseus

I'm also curious if you could post a example of how to properly specify “Visualization” in the import DOP? I'm unable to figure it out.
just type “vel/Visualization” to the Geometry Data Path Field
but your velocity visualization have to be turned on on dop object to be able to import it

or you can as well use Object Merge to import any data with syntax “dopnetpathbjectnameORid/datapath”

for example
/obj/AutoDopNetwork:pyro/vel/Visualization
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
126 posts
thanks alot! works like a charm!
  • Quick Links