can not launch houdini fatal error

7322   4   0
3 posts
Hi there,

i can not launch houdini for some reason…
it keeps crashing on startup, even when i try to open the error log file it crashes.

so i can't even look at that.
so i'm kinda hoping that you can look at the error file and could give me an update

i checked the log.txt but that doesn't tell me much more so…

thanks in advance!

Attachments:
crash.untitled.angelo.vaes_6784_log.txt (256 bytes)
crash.untitled.angelo.vaes_6784.hip (0 bytes)

3 posts
just an idea, but does it have anything to do with requiring 4GB RAM, but being on a 32-bit system, only being able to use 3,40GB?

would be pretty silly to have a 32bit version then but i'm only guessing here
Staff
4438 posts
Hi Angelo,

The hip file you posted is zero bytes… Could you make sure the file is actually bigger than that, then try uploading it again?

The crash log indicates the crash is happening when we are trying to bind a texture. Can you not run Houdini at all, even without any hip file? If you can run an empty Houdini, could you please attach the contents of the Help->About Houdini->Show Details dialog? It might be a video card/driver problem.

It is unlikely to be a 32/64 bit problem. If Houdini runs far enough to generate a crash log (which it does) then you can pretty much rule this out. If your hip file does something that requires more RAM than you have available (or more than 3.2GB if you are running a 32 bit Windows build) then yes, this could lead to a crash, but you should still be able to open Houdini without a hip file…

Thanks for the information,
Mark
3 posts
Hi mtucker,

I can't launch houdini at all, i get that error every time i try to run the application.

so i'm not opening any hip file since i have never tried houdini before ^^.

all crash log hip files are indeed 0kb…. so i'm not sure what's going wrong here… :s
330 posts
Angelo Vaes
Hi mtucker,

I can't launch houdini at all, i get that error every time i try to run the application.

so i'm not opening any hip file since i have never tried houdini before ^^.

all crash log hip files are indeed 0kb…. so i'm not sure what's going wrong here… :s

not sure if this is the case , but take a look here :

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=30498 [sidefx.com]

.cheers
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
  • Quick Links