Mouse locked to one panel

3470   4   1
8 posts
I'm new to Houdini and running into an issue where my mouse will get locked to only being able to work in one panel. For example if I try to use my mouse in network view, the controls will still continue to tumble the scene view. I can still use the shelf buttons, and menus, however even if I do something like a “New File”, I won't be able to select any of the options from within the new file prompt.

I'm coming from Maya, so I'm not sure if I'm accidentally hitting a Maya hotkey that's locking my controls to certain things…or if it's a deeper issue like incompatability with video cards?

Anyone hit this issue? I've tried to browse the web and the forums, but my searches aren't turning anything up.
4189 posts
It's a feature of Houdini - are you holding down a key when it locks?
8 posts
I don't realize that I'm hitting a button when it happens, but like I said I've been working in Maya for years, so it's entirely possible that out of habit I'm hitting something without realizing it that I'd normally hit in Maya.

What is the name of this feature? Is there documentation on it, or anywhere I could read about it to see what keys I could be hitting that's toggling this?
4189 posts
It's meant to be “Pressing Alt/Space in a viewport locks you do that viewport until you release the key. ”

Twod explains it here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=31141&start=25 [sidefx.com]
84 posts
No i do think its a weird bug in H13 too. It never happened to me on H12

I'm used to the locked behavior if you keep the Alt/Space key pressed, but I've had instances where the viewport is just completely locked even if im not pressing any key. I haven't been able to reproduce the error at will so I haven't reported the bug, but i'ts actually annoying.

However I found that when that happens right clicking the mouse on another panel that is not the locked one makes it go away.

I've had the impression that could be one of the many bugs that comes with working with double monitors, since people working with one monitor don't seem to get the weird ui errors that I get here at my office, like dissapearing floating panels or frozen warning or save dialog (those also haven't been able to reproduce at will to report them). This is just a speculation so I actually would like to hear if Josh is getting this error on a 1 or 2 monitor setup.
  • Quick Links