Are FLIP fluids used in production?

13787   13   4
197 posts
299 posts
Yes
Drive, monkey, drive!
197 posts
You see I heard about a thing called Flowline. And it seems the big guys all use that, than there's realflow, and was naiad (RIP), realflows seems to be suited for small studios and advertisers, and naiad looked really well rounded, so where does FLIP get used?
373 posts
Yes it's used in production at various studios. I've used it for two projects now (not sure if I'm allowed to stay what exactly), and I know of another big project that used it quite a bit. Hard to say where else it has been used, but I'm guessing most of the studios that use Houdini will have used it at some point, or will use it more now with h12.

Flowline is Scanline VFX's propriety tool. The only other studio to have licensed it is MPC.

Squirt is Double Negative's fluid simulator – basically naiad's predecessor from what I understand.

ILM uses a few different things, Physbam being on of them. Not sure what DD uses, but I'd guess Flip and/or Naiad. R&H is prob Houdini and/or Naiad. I know they used the voxel liquid simulator before the Flip solver came out. Realflow is used around as well, and the newest version looks to be a decent competitor to the Flip / Naiad sims. I don't know if the bigger studios will pick it up though.

There's also a new one coming out at some point called Flux: http://www.qualoth.com/home/product/flux.asp [qualoth.com] so we'll see how that one fairs.
Ian Farnsworth
197 posts
Flux looks good, but I'll be sticking with houdini for now. It fits everything together so nicely.
390 posts
I believe Dneg has now, or is in the process of switching to flip and dropping squirt.
197 posts
Cool, I've been playing with close too 30 million particles, it get's really nice upwards of this.
7714 posts
Delight0092

I think so. I attended this session at SIGGRAPH:

http://s2012.siggraph.org/attendees/sessions/100-148 [s2012.siggraph.org]

For “River Running Through It”, they mentioned that Houdini FLIP fluids were used for the splashes.

PS. For “Ice Age: Continental Drift”, HOT [anusf.anu.edu.au] and Houdini was used for the seas (amongst other VFX). For previz, they used a version of HOT ported to Maya.
197 posts
@Edward, HOT is fantastic, great looks, and really efficient, I don't like the other ports to Maya/Blender/Etc, as it's suited to a procedural environment, so you can deform anything, and add foam easily, and not have to touch mel which i hate. I don't know about licensing but if it's possible please SESI include it in future.
76 posts
To my knowledge R&H uses Houdini but has written their own fluid solver (I'm pretty sure this means hdk & c++)
390 posts
jkunz07
To my knowledge R&H uses Houdini but has written their own fluid solver (I'm pretty sure this means hdk & c++)

Nope, they use flip.
28 posts
Disney/Pixar use a mix of physbam and flip, in addition to custom pop nodes
Blair Pierpont @ weta digital
4 posts
RealtimeUK use FLIP for there amazing Fluid Work in Pre rendered game cinematics.
48 posts
DD also use a mix of in-house solver and flip.
  • Quick Links