TransformUVs but not displaced uv points?

2136   1   0
2534 posts
Hi All,

I am still trying to figure out how to use UVs to do what I want. I can't seem to find a way to have unified UV coordinates that I can move around but not mangle the displacement.

I want to use one image for displacement, and another for diffuse colorization. I want both images to use the same UV source so if I make a UV edit it affects both rendering and displacement.

As soon as I promote the UVs from Vertex to Points (to use in the VOPSOP) the points become linked and stretching occurs.

The image and attached file demonstrate the error. Two spheres UV mapped with the UVColor.rat file. Both have an animated UVTransform. The sphere without the VOPSOP demonstrates what I am trying to achieve. Simply move the image map around on the surface of the sphere.

In the second, closer sphere, you can see the problem. I want the displace to still displace by the value in the image but not translate it's coordinates by the UV coordinates. The BAD result can be seen in the image as I move the UVs they twist the model instead of just deforming along the surface normal as I want.

I hope that is enough explanation. Pull down the HIP file and press Play to observe the animated result and the error.

Attachments:
ap_UV_sphere_example_1a.hipnc (308.9 KB)
houdini_uv_displace_problem.jpg (203.1 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
2534 posts
I got a little bit closer to a solution. In this setup the UV strip moves underneath the geometry and deforms, somewhat. The UVs are no longer stitched together but I have lost the shape of the object. It should be more sphere like.

Does anyone know how to restore the shape of the original object?

Attachments:
houdini_uv_displace_problem.jpg (210.5 KB)
ap_UV_sphere_example_1b.hipnc (290.4 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links