Parenting from subnets

3269   4   2
2199 posts
As far as I can see if you are inside an object subnet you can't parent to objects outside the subnet, unless you do it manually by first putting down a fetch object.
If this is not the case can you tell me how to do it. If it is the case can I RFE that this functionality be added.
Also if you try and put down a fetch object through the viewport and you are inside an object subnet it does seem to allow you to select objects outside the subnet, is this right? Am I missing something here?
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
Staff
2540 posts
I would highly doubt that we will allow parenting up directories. That is why the fetch object was added. I like ‘em. Allows HDA’s to remain locked up and still fetch parenting info.

The viewport can confuse things. Having the viewer tied to the network and you are inside a subnetwork of objects, then yes, selecting objects in the above network can only be accomplished if:
  • You have the viewport toggled to “see all”
    RMB on the “see one/see all” button and select “Select From All Objects”
There's at least one school like the old school!
2199 posts
I give it a try.
What I was hoping for was that a fetch object would automatically be created if you were inside a subnet trying to parent to something outside of itself. I couldn't find a way to make it do that, are you saying that it should work? I could click on the objects I wanted to parent to, and if I turned on rollover labelling i could get to the objects I wanted but the parent tool just wouldn't let me select them.
Staff
2540 posts
That is exactly the response I wanted. Thank-you. That is the same behaviour I would like to see. This is what happens when you turn that feature on in the viewport and you are in SOPs. You will get Object Merge SOPs to all externally referenced objects. Why not do that in objects by putting in fetch nodes?

I will submit the RFE then.

-jeff
There's at least one school like the old school!
2199 posts
Exactly, just like object merge. That would be cool.
  • Quick Links